10 Songs About Female Empowerment For Your Galentine’s Day Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

February 13th is Galentine’s Day, but what is it? According to The Atlantic’s article “Galentine’s Day: How a Beloved Fiction Became a Beloved Tradition,” Galentine’s Day is a day celebrating the platonic friendships among women. It originally came from an episode of the show, Parks and Recreation where the character Leslie creates this day to, “Celebrate the platonic love that exists among ladyfriends.” This idea eventually changed from fiction to an actual micro-holiday that women celebrate. In the spirit of Galentine’s Day, I have created a playlist of songs that exemplify the spirit of this micro-holiday: self love, connections between women, and empowerment. 

TLC, No Scrubs

No Scrubs is all about uniting through a shared experience of being catcalled or harassed. TLC tells us that we are not deserving of that treatment and that you are so much more than they think you are. 

Janelle Monáe, Q.U.E.E.N.

Q.U.E.E.N. is all about being confident in yourself regardless of what others may say about you. She proudly does the things that people say are wrong or strange. It’s a great song to dance and sing along to.

Beyoncé, Run The World (Girls)

This is one of the most iconic female empowerment songs that has come out in the last few years. Beyoncé tells us all that girls run the world and highlights the work that all different types of women do all around the world.

Janet Jackson, Nasty

Janet Jackson proudly admits in this song that she is worthy of respect and that she will not take other people disrespecting her. She is more than the nasty thoughts that people have about her.

Chaka Khan, I’m Every Woman

This song is all about the power and connections between all women. She shows us that women are powerful no matter who they are. It is a staple song of pride for all women.

Eurythmics, Aretha Franklin, Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves

Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves is a song that shows the progress that women have achieved throughout history. It also gives a sense of unity to all women because we have that common goal of being able to do what we want.

Lizzo, Juice

Lizzo uses this song to promote self love and being yourself. She wants everyone to be confident in themselves because they are worth being loved. This is the perfect song for preaching your own self love.

No Doubt, Just A Girl

This song features Gwen Stefani making a critique about the social pressures and expectations of women in society. She loudly and proudly exclaims that she’s, “had it up to here” with these expectations.

Bikini Kill, Rebel Girl

If you want an artist that is all about female empowerment and fighting the patriarchy Kathleen Hanna and Bikini Kill is definitely the band for you. This song is anthem for the rebel girls of the world who aren’t afraid to change the world. 

Joan Jett, Bad Reputation

This song is all about being more than what you’re expected to be or never submitting to the status quo. Joan Jett proudly tells us that a woman can do whatever she sets her mind to regardless of the judgement of others.  

Hopefully these songs put everyone in the spirit of Galentine’s Day and reminds them to appreciate the platonic friendships among women in their life. 

HCXO, 

Sydney A. George 

Sydney A. George

Millersville '23

Sydney is a Millersville University freshman with a Communication major,concentrated in Theatre. She loves the arts, fashion, and everything in between.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3