Why I won’t be following the “new semester, new me” cliché

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

The beginning of any semester is filled with many things, and lies are very much among them. Walking through campus, you’ll constantly hear people talk about how this semester is going to be different, how this semester they promise that they won’t fall behind on reading or homework, and how this semester, they promise to stay in shape and put good use to their wellness dues. I too, have fallen into this trap.

Well, here’s the truth: maybe you’ll follow this new mantra for a bit, but ultimately, your new habits will rear their heads again. Eventually we all go back to our own routines. But you know what? That’s not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe you had a fantastic semester and you want to do more of the same. That was the case for me.

Last semester I finally got my act together, both academically and socially. I have never been one to actively participate in a club and this semester, I forced myself into the world of clubs. I can honestly say I have no regrets. Becoming more active at the University of Miami has completely changed my outlook on the college experience. When I first started here, my main concern was to go to school and go home. Had freshman me seen me last semester, she wouldn’t recognize her. I think that’s called growth.

So maybe the whole “new semester, new me” mantra is a cliché, but I think everyone needs to attempt it at least once in their college experience. However, it’s only when you’re not realizing it that you can truly change your college experience, and if you’re lucky, your life.