wellness hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wellness hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Wellness

Ways To Manage A Healthier Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Day to day, whether we realize it or not, there is a major connection between what we eat and how we look. We have to recognize that what we put into our body will ultimately determine how we feel afterwards. Whether it is clearer skin, a healthier mindset, or even bouncier hair, food plays a huge role! Our lifestyles also play a huge role in our appearance. Making time for enough sleep, healthy eating habits, and exercise, comes into play as well. The good news is that we can eat and drink our way to all of these things: a healthier mindset, healthier appearance, and an overall healthier lifestyle.

Adaptogens are plants that “help expand your body’s capacity to handle mental, physical and emotional stress”. These plants help get your body to homeostasis, a stable internal state. Adaptogens help our body maintain balance when we are feeling stressed or even anxious. Ashwagandha is an example of an adaptogen that helps “reduce stress, fight inflammation, and boost immunity and stamina” according to Ayurvedic medicine. Even though adaptogens might not be a quick fix, the long term effects are definitely worth it. They will eventually help promote overall well being in your life. Recommendations for brands of adaptogens include: Moon Juice Superbeauty, Moon Juice SuperHair, and Moon Juice Beauty Dust. You can take these in powder form, (add it to milk, water, smoothies), or capsules as directed. 

Woman doing yoga meditation on brown parquet flooring
Photo by Jared Rice from Unsplash

Next there is Collagen, which I am sure many people have heard about. Collagen is a protein naturally found in the human body. It is abundantly present in our hair, skin, nails, bones, and muscles. By breaking down the amino acids in the protein we eat, our body produces the collagen we need everyday. Research has shown that ingesting collagen supplements can improve skin elasticity, help muscles heal and grow, strengthen bones, boost skin hydration, and many more! Collagen is widely available in many forms. Powders are the easiest way to add collagen into your diet because it is tasteless and can be added to smoothies, coffee, and even water. A reliable recommendation for collagen brands include Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides.

woman with facial soap washing their face
Photo by Shiny Diamond from Pexels

Supplements are also another great way to boost vitamins already present in your body. Beauty supplements are formulated with essential vitamins and nutrients. Key vitamins to look for when searching for supplements are: biotin, hyaluronic acid, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C. Beauty supplements help stimulate hair growth, keep the nervous system healthy, and even increase moisture in the skin and joints. The easiest way to take beauty supplements are through capsules with plenty of water throughout the day. Some recommendations include: Vital Proteins Hair Boost Capsules, Vital Proteins Skin Hydration Boost Capsules, and Vital Proteins Beauty Boost Capsules.

“You are what you eat” is a quote that is widely used today and is extremely true. What you eat, directly correlates with how you look and even more with how you feel. Putting nutritional supplements into your body can give you amazing results. These results will not only be immediate, but also long lasting and beneficial!