Vocal Artist Shawn Daniel’s Chicago Roots Inspire His Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Senior Shawn Daniel has not been working professionally as a vocal artist for long but he is already recording his first album. Originally from Chicago, he talked with us about how he finds a lot of his inspiration from his hometown and its artists. 

How long have you been singing?
I started singing at youthful age; singing in the church and performing songs with my high school performance group. Although I have many years of vocal development, I have recently decided to emerge myself in the music industry.

Can you tell me about the music that you are interested in?
I like smooth music, pop music, rap music; and every once in a while I’ll indulge myself in some rock. Mostly, I find myself listening to things that sooth the soul, such as Brian McKnight or Jill Scott.  I have a strong interest in music that can emotionally move its listeners. My focal point while recording is to create the beat, the rhythm, the words and the melody that can speak to a multitude of people. Each song tells a story, a story that people can relate to while also being inspired.

Who are some of your musical influences?
Chicago is my hometown so I’ve always been inspired by Chicagoans such as Lupe Fiasco, Earth Wind and Fire, R. Kelly, and of course Common and Kanye West.  I picked up a variety of musical techniques by immersing myself in many forms of music; soul, pop, jazz, R&B, rock and even country music. I’ve learn a lot regarding stage performance by watching artists such as Prince, Usher, Aerosmith and Celine Dion.  There is so much to learn from those who have grazed the big stage, and by watching these artists my stage performance has been greatly enhanced. I’ve observed Michael Jackson, and Beyonce perform and give the audience their all. As an entertainer, I’m developing myself to do just the same. 

What are some of the events you have performed at?
During this first stage of performance development I’ve focused my attention toward intimate settings like performing at several Miami cafés. As most upcoming artist, I’ve performed at many open mics at places like Blusters, Little Hollies, University of Miami, Hard Rock Café and the Funky Budda lounge to name a few.

What has been your biggest accomplishment as an artist?
As an artist my biggest accomplishment has been creating my singing promotional video. For years my family and friends saw me on my journey toward medical school.
A lot of my friends and family were not aware of my dreams to become a singer. My singing promotional video on Kickstater.com was a way of making them aware and gaining support. The amount of positive feedback and support I’ve received has been phenomenal. Friends, family and now a ton of fans have been instrumental in supporting my dream.
My singing promotional video is only a small part of the equation. Working with Miami music producers to record my first EP has been another huge accomplishment. In doing so, I’ve been able to meet music executives and producers who have with some of my favorite artists. Also, the privilege I’ve had in working with vocal coaches here in Miami has begun to prepare my career for longevity.

What has been your favorite class at UM?
My favorite class at UM is the Haitian Creole language course taught by Professor Marcelin.  The art of speaking in a different dialect helps singers phonate more precisely and makes one more aware of singing techniques.  While in class, I’ve had the opportunity to sing the Haitian traditional song “Ayiti Cheri,” which my vocal coach now uses as a phonic drill during rehearsals.

What are your ambitions for the future?
I’m ambitious to work with other artists and producers while finishing my EP. I’m also ambitious about get my first single to my supports on Kickstarter. Each person who has heard me sing has gained a liking for my unique voice. I want my voice to be heard within the music industry. This takes discipline, perseverance and patience.

Is there anything coming up that you are excited for?
Upon the completion of my Kickstarter singing project, I will finish recording my original songs for my EP “The Catalyst”. The project ends on the 24th of April so any one looking to support should go to kickstarter.com and type Shawn Daniel in the search tab.
As well, I’m moving back home to Chicago in May to further develop my career as a vocal artist. Also, I am currently preparing to sing the National Anthem at the new Marlin Baseball Stadium. There are a few songs, I’ve been asked to be featured on by local artists so I will also be in the recording studio for the next few weeks.

How can people stay in touch with you and updated on your music?
Both Facebook & Twitter are effective methods of being updated with my music.
Twitter: @MusicByShawnD
Facebook: Shawn Daniel (Shawn D.)

How long have you been singing?

What are your ambitions for the future?

Twitter: @MusicByShawnD
Facebook: Shawn Daniel (Shawn D.)

Jackie Salo is a freshman at the University of Miami School of Communication. Currently, she writes for The Miami Hurricane. In high school, she was the Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper The Courant. The paper won various awards such as the 2009 American Scholastic Press Association's Best Newspaper First Place with Special Merit award, the only paper in the Northeast to do so. Jackie has had work published in The Long Island Press, and Boating Times Long Island where she interned. She was the Quill Awards Most Outstanding Journalist of the Year and was the only high school student to be recognized by News Channel 12 for High School Journalist of the Year.