Shows And Movies Guaranteed To Make You Smile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

It’s a common belief that putting down the cellphone and shutting off the T.V. is good for your health. But sometimes, a good T.V. show or movie is just what you need to bring up your mood. Here are some movies and shows that will make your day brighter and maybe even give you a better outlook on things. 

1. Bob’s Burgers

I watch this show basically every day. It’s my daily ritual. Do I have a problem? Maybe. But I can’t deny that it makes me happy. It’s about a couple named Bob and Linda, their kids and their hilarious friends that hang around their burger restaurant. Every character is so ridiculous that you can’t help but laugh. Louise and her bunny ears is my personal favorite. She’s random, hilariously cynical and when she is happy, it’s over something so small. It makes you appreciate the little things. I mean c’mon, this image has to make you crack up a little. 

2. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This is another show that is bound to make you smile. It’s about an optimistic girl named Kimmy living life to the fullest after being trapped underground for 15 years. Her landlord, Lillian, is hilarious and completely out of her mind. Her roommate Titus Andromedon, a struggling singer, has the most iconic lines ever. Her co-dependent friendship with the woman she works for, Mrs. Vorhees also adds another interesting factor into the whole mix. The whole show is upbeat and light-hearted. Perfect for any day. 

3. The Sound of Music

This is truly one of the greatest films ever made. It’s a musical with the one and only Julie Andrews. The setting is in Austria, Hungary and involves a cheerful governess named Maria and the Von Trapp family. The musical numbers done by Maria and the Von Trapp children are literally adorable. The complete and utter happiness shared in this movie is enough to brighten your day. Also Captain Von Trapp and Maria? Goals. Complete and utter goals. 

4. Zootopia

This movie manages to tackle many different stereotypes and cultural assumptions through different types of animals. It makes it so that kids can really understand and follow in a way that isn’t too much for them. All the characters are so layered in that no one is portrayed as either all good or all bad. The main character, Judy Hopps, is the protagonist and she grows to understand predators who are portrayed as dangerous and untrustworthy. It tackles so many different experiences and identities and it just GIVES ME HOPE. I hope it will do the same for you. 

5. Bridget Jones’s Diary

As far as romantic comedies go, this is by far one of the best. The main character, Bridget, is fascinating, funny and an overall joy to watch. She stumbles upon the right guys and wrong guys on top of having a great career. It isn’t the typical romantic comedy since it’s centered on her rather than on an actual relationship. It presents a healthy idea of self-love. I mean who doesn’t enjoy seeing someone accept their ridiculousness and live life? 

So I hope this helps you slightly in your search for a good pick-me-up on a gloomy day. There are better days ahead and these may help you through the crappy ones. 

I love writing, cheesecake and Fanfiction.