This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Road trips are one of the best ways to create memories with your friends. Unfortunately, being in southern Florida, it seems like our possibilities are limited, but we actually have some great destinations right at our fingertips, all you need to do is pile into a car.

Key Largo, FL

Distance: 58 miles, about a one-hour drive

Why: Key West is an obvious UM bucket list destination, but Key Largo is often overlooked as a destination. It is a short drive and the beaches are beautiful, often said to be much better than those of Key West. The snorkeling also cannot be beat.

What to do: Key Largo is more of a local town than the tourist filled Key West, but that just adds to the experience (my friends and I had the exact same taxi driver the entire weekend!). There are countless beachside huts advertised as hotels and hostels, but paying a little extra for the amenities of the Hilton or Marriot is well worth it (the Marriot is a little far from the night life). Go to Snapper’s for fresh seafood and live island music, and then hang out with the locals at Sharkey’s.

Nashville, TN

Distance: 918 miles, about a thirteen-hour drive

Why: We all braved the drive to Tallanasty…so just keep driving a little further to Nashville, arguably the best city in the country for country music and southern food.

What to do: Stay near the Gulch or Demonbreun, which are both a short Uber ride from downtown. During the day make sure to go to 12south (and get popsicles at Las Paletas) or Hillsborough village for great shopping. Going to the Country Music Hall of Fame is also a must. For dinner, go to Puckett’s, Hattie B’s (for Nashville hot chicken), or Biscuit Love. Then go explore the nightlife at Tin Roof, Tootsies, Grand Central, and 3 Crow Bar.

Orlando, FL

Distance: 241miles, about a four-hour drive

Why: Wait… there’s more to Orlando than the parks? YES! Orlando has great restaurants and nightlife, and you can even stop there for a couple nights on your way to Nashville.

What to do: Ok, well obviously you should go to the parks while you are in Orlando. BUT you could also go to an Orlando City Soccer Game; the level of excitement might surprise you. You could also be classy and play a round of golf at one of the many golf courses there. Restaurant recommendations include Epcot (obviously), Jimmy Hulas, Rocco’s Tacos, and 4 Rivers Smokehouse. At night, check out Disney Springs or Orlando City Walk. If you want to be a local for the night, go to the bars in the central business district, specifically the ones on Central Boulevard and Orange Ave.

Helen, GA

Distance: 756 miles, about a twelve-hour drive

Why: It is a lot closer than Europe.

What to do: While this trip would be entertaining any time of year, Christmas in Helen is quite merry, and more importantly, there is no better place to celebrate Oktoberfest in the Southeast. Simply Google, “Helen, GA”, it speaks for itself.

Savannah, GA

Distance: 491 miles, about a seven-hour drive

Why: Savannah is one of my favorite southern cities, and a weekend there will completely leave you feeling refreshed enough to deal with the chaos of Miami.

What to do: During the day, go on a nice river cruise, and tour Savannah’s historic district. The cemeteries, houses and churches will transport you back in time. Walk along River Street when it gets later, although a little touristy, it is beautiful. Have dinner at Vic’s on the River (the fried green tomatoes are to die for), and then get some of the city’s best pralines at River Street Sweets. You can even watch them make them! Afterwards, go to Rocks on the Roof to sit by a fire pit, listen to live music, and have sweeping views of the city.

St. Augustine, FL

Distance: 330 miles, about a five-hour drive

Why: This is an adorably quaint and often overlooked destination when people are planning getaways…but it comes highly recommended.

What to do: Staying in a bed and breakfast will give you the true small town feel (being from the northeast, this is something I miss), especially during Christmas time. During the day, visit the local museums and historic sites, then go shopping and people watching on St. George Street. Make sure to go to Vilano Beach one day too. To continue the cuteness, you can go to a ballet in the evening, followed by dinner at Salt Life on the beach, or Aunt Kate’s, then indulge in homemade fudge from Fudge Buckets.

Crystal River, FL

Distance: 327 miles, about a five-hour drive

Why: YES, those are all manatees in the picture! You can be one with nature…and manatees, for a weekend.

What to do: While there are some hotels in the area, if you really want to get out of your comfort zone (or in it!), camp in the Chassahowitzka River Campground. You can pitch a tent, go kayaking in the river, and see tons of manatees and dolphins. The River Ventures Company also offers excursions on their boats to swim with the manatees in a more legal fashion. End the day with dinner at Cracker’s or Vintage on 5th, which is in a renovated church from the 40’s.