Play for Planned Parenthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

The University of Miami Video Games Club held their spring philanthropy this past weekend. Gamers battled it out for 12 hours on everything from the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) to the PS4. The event is normally called ExtraLife and benefits Nicklaus Children’s Hospital.  However, due to the recent political climate, the club decided to do something different this semester.

“This semester we are trying to raise money for Planned Parenthood because due to the recent administration Planned Parenthood is in danger of being defunded,” said Video Games President Nikhil Delahaye.

The event was alive with rivalries as new gamer’s experienced Dungeons and Dragons tutorial sessions, a Puzzle Bobble Tournament, a classic arcade machine and a Smash 4 Tournament.  Participants also had a chance to enter a raffle for posters designed by artist Snow Kathleen.

The event also served as an opportunity for students to be politically active.  At the sign-in table, they were asked to fill out pink postcards addressed to Senator Marco Rubio and Representative Carlos Curbelo urging them to keep funding for the clinic.

“Planned Parenthood is just so excited to be on a college campus, surrounded by young people and teaching them what it means to be politically active,” said Planned Parenthood Presentative Nadia, who dressed as Sailor Moon to fit the day’s theme.

The event also supported another important theme, women in video games. According to Delahaye, they decided to hold the event during March for International Women’s Month. This provided female gamers with a chance to share their experiences in the industry.

“It used to be really bad,” said Executive Board Member Casey O’Brien. “Like, it was really rough.  People were like predacious and stereotyped. But, as time has gone on, people have accepted it more. So, being able to be a woman is actually more empowering now. Also, when you can like beat all the guys at a certain game it’s really satisfying.”

“I’m glad that in such a male-dominated area that there’s so much support for Planned Parenthood,” said Executive Board Member Camille Henley.

The club raised a total of $638.66.  Donations are being collected until March 13.  To donate, or for more ways to get involved, click here.

I am currently a senior broadcast journalism and theatre major at the University of Miami. I love pageants, coffee, and animals.