This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Meet 19-year-old sophmore Paola Diaz. Paola is from San Juan, Puerto Rico, and is majoring in health sciences pre physcial therapy. Aside from being a student at UM, she’s an established model. She got discovered at an Elite Look Model contest in Puerto Rico, and has since participated in both New York Fashion Week and Miami Swim Week, as well as been featured in Vouge Brazil.

What was your first experience with modeling? 

“My first experience with modeling was actually when I was a little girl. It was this children’s fashion show and when it came time for me to walk I actually was so nervous I walked on the stage and started crying and ran away!”

What’s the weirdest thing anyone has ever said to you as a model?

“The weirdest thing that anyone has said to me was when I was waiting for a casting during swim week. This old man came up to me and said, ‘Did you just fart? Because you blow me away!’. I literally started laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe!”

What is the best part and the worst part of your job?

“The best part about my job is definitely getting to meet different people and working with them. The worst part is definitely keeping up with the schedule and going to castings and jobs, and at the same time balance it out with school.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

“In five years I can still see myself modeling but at the same time starting out my career. When I graduate from Miami I plan on participating in the Miss Universe pageant and see how that goes.”

What is/are your best beauty tip(s)?

“I honestly suck at this but I think washing your face is very important to keep it nice and clean and hydrated.”

What does a typical day of work look like for you?

“In Miami, the jobs are typically photos, since there’s less runway here. Usually the call times are really early so you have to get there. After that they do your hair and make up, there’s usually a stylist that brings the clothes and they decide which ones would look best. The longest part is definitely shooting the outfits because sometimes there are so many, I wish I could keep them all.”

What (if any) would be your dream modeling job and why?

“I don’t really set goals for myself, I just kind of see where life takes me. I’m really grateful for all the jobs I do and it’s just fun in the end.”

What are some things you like to do when you don’t model or study?

“Some things I like to do are watch Netflix (vampire diaries), go to the beach and try to get a decent tan, even though my face doesn’t tan. Sometimes I’m at the Wellness Center trying to workout. “