Hero Images with HC Branding Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

Must Haves for the Best-Looking Dorm!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Trust me, I understand how stressful dorm room decorating and shopping can be. Although planning your room seems fun and all, it can easily turn into your worst nightmare considering you are working with a small space and a roommate. As challenges arise, these websites, decorating ideas and design tips will go a long way to help design your perfect room.

Before thinking about specific details, I suggest agreeing on a color scheme with your roommate. This year, I went for black, white and silver, but many color combinations can look amazing. I advise choosing a simple base color and adding a few touches of a different color. For example, a pink room would look amazing with some silver or gold accents. 

Once you are ready to decorate your room, start thinking about what types of items you want to hang on your wall.  You could use lights, posters, pictures, paintings or a combination of these. Although slightly pricey, the company ‘Oliver Gal’ creates and sells beautiful and unique paintings that could be perfect for any dorm room. They offer a wide variety of colors and different pictures painted on the wall. The best part is that you can pick from multiple size paintings, in addition to whether or not you want to add a border. They also offer a large selection of neon signs that could be the perfect touch to your room. These too can be considered on the more expensive side, but they can easily be moved and mounted to fit any room. 

Another great addition to any dorm room are LED lights. A detail even this small can make the room feel more inviting and comfortable. Amazon offers a great selection of different types of lights and colors to choose from. They are also super easy and quick to hang with no hassle at all. They range in prices anywhere from $2-$500 depending on which type of lights you are interested in.

If you are looking for something simpler but still trendy, Tezza photo collages have been trending throughout thousands of collages. For those of you who do not know what Tezza is, it is a photo editing app that has recently started selling aesthetic pictures to hand on your wall. They offer many different themes for collages such as the “City Kit”, “Coastal Kit”, “Tezza Collage Kit” and more. They add a great look to any wall, and you can arrange and hang them however you want. Most kits sell for about $89 and contains 150 prints. Other sell for $49 and contain 75 prints. You will always be able to find a kit to match any color scheme you have in mind.

However you decide to decorate your dorm room, be sure to match the design to your personality and to put your personal touch on it. After all, you’re going to be spending many, many hours in this small space, and you’ll want a room you’re happy to come home to every day.

Hello! My name is Aly Rubin! I have always had a passion for writing and I am very happy I get to continue that. I grew up in a small town in northern New Jersey. I have no siblings so growing up, it was just me, my parents, and my dog, Nina. Some of my interests include going to the gym, meeting new people, and traveling. I am the co-founder and co-owner of a non-profit organization called Change4Good, which I started in high school with three of my friends. I have always enjoyed giving back to the community and making other people happy.