This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Relationships are hard in general, let alone trying to start one during a global pandemic. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! It’s not as hard as you think. Today, most college students are either on social media, dating apps or even both. Dating apps may seem scary at first, but as long as you are cautious and careful, it can be a great experience!

First off, if you are not already on a dating app, I highly suggest you make a profile. It’s a great way to meet new people! Take Tinder, for example. You may be skeptical about this app however, there is something called Tinder University. Tinder University is a section of Tinder that puts you with other students at your University or neighboring colleges. After you download, establish your account by adding pictures of yourself with a cute bio. Keep in mind, your bio and pictures are the first thing someone sees when they look at your profile, so make sure the pictures represent you well and give off the image that you’re striving for! After that, I suggest taking some time to swipe through Tinder; see who you match with and try to start up a conversation! 

After chatting on the app, take it to real text messaging. Ask for their number and continue to get to know them. During a time like this, you have an excuse to talk to people longer than you usually would. This part is crucial to set a good foundation for a possible relationship. 

Once you get more comfortable and think you are ready to go out on a date… don’t! Well, not yet. You and the person you are talking to should set up a virtual date first. Maybe make a drink, sit down in your own homes, and talk! This is a great way to stay safe while still getting to know your match. 

After some time, if you’re comfortable and know that you’ve both been keeping safe, go on a real date! Meeting outdoors is the safest option. For example, you can have a picnic on the beach, go for a walk in a park, or go hiking. With fall around the corner, you can even go to a pumpkin patch or an apple orchard!

Dating during a pandemic can be a lot more wholesome than you think. It pushes you to get to know someone and to trust them, before doing anything physical. This usually means that your relationship will be a lot stronger. Despite our world changing so much in 2020, forming relationships should not have to stop. 

If you are thinking about going on a date or seeing someone, just follow your heart, be safe, keep your distance, and wear a mask as much as you can!

Hey! My name is Rachel Ramnarine and I'm from New Jersey. I live in Central Jersey so I'm pretty close to NYC and the shore! I have two siblings, and an adorable dog! I am a current sophomore studying communication at The University of Miami. In my free time, I love to go to the beach with my friends and spend time with my family! I have always loved writing but have been intimidated at times, however, I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!