12 Free Online Mental Health Resources

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

In an ideal world, everyone would have insurance that would cover both mental and physical care. Therapy isn’t even an option for some people because they can’t afford it.  University counseling centers are a huge resources for students but who’s to say what the situation will be after graduation? Here are a list of free online mental health resources for people who need free assistance after college and for those who never had access in the first place: 

1. AfterSilence 

AfterSilence is a website that connects sexual assault victims and supporters to free chat rooms. The site is designed to help lead survivors on the road to recovery and healing. Their mission is to support, educate, empower and validate survivors and their friends and families. There’s many testimonies from other survivors that show that they’ve really benefited from being a part of this online community. 

2. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 

The National Suicide Prevention offers 24/7 phone service for those who are going through mental health issues and might be thinking about suicide. The goal of the lifeline is to reduce stress and help guide people in making safe decisions. Their site also has an online chat that only requires zip code and terms and service agreement. The website also contains a safe space with soothing sounds and images to help someone self-soothe. 

3. HRSA Data warehouse 

The Health Resources and Services Administration has a Datawarehouse website that helps people find free clinics. The motto is that you pay what you can afford. HRSA is dedicated to providing people with the care that they need if they do not have insurance and can’t afford it. 

4. TrevorSpace 

TrevorSpace is an online community that contains support groups and lifeline for young members of the LGBTQ group. There’s forums on coming out, family and friends, and members can give each other advice and support one another. 

5. Mental Health America 

Mental Health America is a non-profit dedicated to improving the lives of people living with mental illnesses. Their site offers mental health screening tools, support, links to various support groups and educational tips on self-help and maintaining good mental health. 

6. Partnership for Prescription Assistance 

PPA stands for Partnership For Prescription Assistance. This program is dedicated to finding a program that will help people cover their medication expenses. This service is absolutely free. 

7. iPrevail 

iPrevail is a free website that connects people with trained peer counselors. It has mental health exercises and self help guides as well. It doesn’t have free licensed professionals but it can be helpful if a person finds themselves panicking with no one to comfort them. 

8. SMARTRecovery 

It’s extremely tough for someone to get help for an addiction. SmartRecovery offers support groups, online meetings, 24/7 chat service and a safe space for people struggling with addiction. 

9. FamilyLivesOn Foundation 

The FamilyLivesOn Foundation is an organization that advocates for the well-being of children who’ve lost their parents. The program is based on preserving traditions by sending children items that they would have received from the deceased parent. The facilitators send the child these items for a period of 5 years or until he/she is 18 years old. They also offer grief support for the family. 

10. ANAD 

ANAD stands for the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Diseases. It’s the oldest organization known for helping treat eating disorders. The ANAD site helps people with a helpline and gives them the option of support groups, grocery buddies, and recovery mentors. There’s tons of testimonies and educational information about body image. 

11. Sidran Institute 

Sidran Traumatic Stress Institute is a non-profit that focuses on helping those that suffer from PTSD, dissociative disorders and co-occurring side effects such as addiction and self-harm. They provide training, support groups and a help desk open to taking calls from any traumatic stress survivors. 

12. ADAA

ADAA is an international non-profit that focuses on helping people suffering with anxiety and depression. Their site offers help from experts, links to support groups, self-screenings, and many informational articles about anxiety, depression and co-occurring disorders. 

Mental health is such an important aspect of life. Online communities and organizations available can be a huge step in taking care of your mental health. These are just a few of the many free mental health resources out there! If you want to see more options, here’s a longer list

I love writing, cheesecake and Fanfiction.