10 Horror Movies on Netflix that Will Put You in the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Halloween is upon us and fall is officially in full swing. You know what that means: oversized sweaters, pumpkin flavored everything, leaves changing colors and of course, Halloween. But with these glories of fall comes the never ending question, “Anybody have any Netflix suggestions?” Well look no further; we do. We’ve compiled a list of 10 of Netflix’s creepiest horror movies to get you in the swing of all things Halloween.

1. Hush (2016)

If you are into the low-budget, suspense filled thriller then have I found the movie for you. Hush is a story centered around a deaf and mute woman who must survive a suspenseful home invasion by a twisted killer. This film is a must-see psychological stimulation, backed with deafening silence, subtle melodies and numbing violence.

2. The Babadook (2014)

Supernatural horror stories are hard to come by; finding one to beat The Babadook is seemingly impossible. This mind warping film goes into the accidental release of an evil storybook spirit. But what is more frightening than the Babadook is the inside look it gives into a parent’s worst fear: not being loved by their own child and the rather petrifying potential of motherhood.

3. It Follows (2014)

If you like movies that are all about the chase then It Follows is for you. This indie horror film follows a young girl who has contracted a sexually transmitted monster that “follows” them without fail until it eventually catches up with its victim and executes them. The monster can take on any human form it so desires and is seemingly indestructible. This film will definitely leave you looking over your shoulder.

4. Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Who wouldn’t want to watch an Academy Award-winning remake film that stars Johnny Depp? Well Sleepy Hollow is just that. We’ll keep it brief about this one but if you’ve heard of the infamous “Legend of Sleepy Hollow” then you know of the violent murders, mystery and romance that awaits.

5. Honeymoon (2014)

The next film on our list is out of the ordinary and full of an unearthly marriage. Honeymoon tells the story of a recently-married couple honeymooning in the woods who start to exhibit frightening behaviors that ultimately raise the central question, “Do you really know the person you’re sleeping next to?”

6. The Sixth Sense (1999)

One of four horror movies to ever be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, The Sixth Sense can be categorized as a withstanding horror classic. For those of you who don’t know, the story follows a boy who can’t distinguish the living from the dead. The twist in this thriller might even have you saying, “I see dead people” too.

7. The Invitation (2015)

If ground-shaking, climatic, violent thrasher films get your blood boiling then The Invitation is right up your alley. In short, this film is about a man’s “invitation” to his sinister ex-wife’s dinner party, meant for reuniting and reconnecting old friends. With suspenseful violence around every corner, this film will have you holding on by a thread up until the very end.

8. Children of the Corn (1984)

A classic to say the least. Children of the Corn, based on the infamous Stephen King novel, is about a group of children in Nebraska who do not favor outsiders to their peculiar cult. Watch as the adults come face-to-face with the rurally satanic.

9. The Nightmare (2015)

From the directors of Room 237 come this bone-chilling documentary that gives a refreshing twist to ordinary horror films. The Nightmare is a horror documentary that follows eight different people, all suffering from sleep paralysis. The recreation of these terrifying spells of paralysis is what brings this documentary to life, or death, you decide.

10. Hellraiser (1987)

The final movie on my list is one that is filled with pain, pleasure and gore but surprisingly is strung along an ample story line. Hellraiser is the first of Clive Barker’s series but is rich in all of the terror of movies today. If an erotic nail-biter sounds like something you’d take shameless interest in, give Hellraiser a shot.

Well there you have it. I have listed 10 of the best movies to watch on Netflix to get your horror fill. From gore to the edge of your seat, these films are sure to keep you busy this Halloween and have you in the swing of all things spooky.