brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Yik Yak: An Overnight Social Sensation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Bored students around campus seem to be infatuated with their phones lately. But it isn’t to check for updates on Instagram or to send a quick SnapChat MyStory anymore….

It seems as though the Miami University student body has become OBSESSED with the new social media app, Yik Yak. But why is it’s Twitter-like feed so popular? Yik Yak is a local public forum completely run by those who post and read the flow of information. It allows you to upvote or downvote a comment or even report one that is deemed inappropriate. The free app allows anyone to anonymously post a thought, an opinion, or virtually anything in a public forum without having to create a profile or a log in and password, making it seemingly unprotected. Although, apparently you must be 17 or older to download the application by use of a push notification asking you to confirm your age with no real way of telling if you’re bluffing or not. The feed picks up information in your area, cleverly called “yaks”, and displays it on your screen.

While this app is beneficial functioning as a new mode of communication, it also has appeared to create negativity surrounding certain Greek organizations and has targeted individuals. Yik Yak, with the tagline, “No profile. No password. It’s all anonymous.” has officially changed the way people gossip, but do its benefits outweigh the negatives? It’s in your hands to decide.

For gossip straight from the source, check out Yik Yak’s blog for the latest buzz.  

Lexi Sunberg

Miami (OH)

HC Writer
Alex McNulty

Miami (OH)