neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Woman Releasing Her Toxic Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

By Kay Connelly

Recently, a friend (like several of you out there) found herself in a toxic place with a guy. As an observer, she appeared conflicted at first. But she made the decision to break up with him. Here is what she had to say: 

“Obviously I was sad. But, strangely I wasn’t really sad for that long. I kept myself busy. I genuinely couldn’t think about anything I loved about him. It was weird. Normally, I would expect a break-up to trigger the thoughts of all the good.”

“I am so much happier without him. He was just bad for me in every way. He got jealous, but now I get to spend time with my friends. I am so much happier. I now realize it was a waste of time.”

Now, she is seemingly very happy. Her friends had “known” and said things along the line of, “yeah, he isn’t good to you.” In retrospect, she finds that he was very manipulative and, “he used emotions against her knowing she had a heart.”

“He tricked me into coming back to him. But now, I can keep up with my school and spend more time with people that genuinely care about me and make me happy. I have more time to do whatever I want and I can play life more by ear.”

Her greatest advice is that, “If your gut tells you to get out of the relationship, get out of it. Quit questioning and act.” She seems at peace knowing that she can take time to reflect and determine what it is that she wants.