danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Watch What You Post Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Oh no, here we go again. Another speech on why we shouldn’t post inappropriate pictures on social media. It’s something we’ve all heard before, but ladies, this is an important topic. One of the reasons it continues to be an issue we need to talk about is because it keeps happening. Here are just a few reasons why posting that picture with a solo cup in your pretty little hand isn’t such a good idea. JobsWhether we want to hear it or not, future employers could be looking at your social media accounts before and during the hiring process. Even if you’ve deleted that scandalous picture from last year’s spring break, it has still left a footprint on the web and it will be found. You think they’re going to be more inclined to hire the candidate that looks like they party all the time? Probably not.

SchoolEven though you might have made it through one of the most stressful application processes of your life (you know, the college one), you still have to be careful with what you post online. In some instances college students have been punished for inappropriate social media behavior. According to CBS New York, a student at Montclair State University was suspended for writing offensive YouTube comments. Just because you get into school doesn’t mean you can always stay there!

Greek LifeEveryone knows the social aspect of Greek Life can be incredibly fun and exciting, however, inappropriate social media postings can get not only you, but your entire chapter in trouble. You are a part of an organization and that means that you represent your letters at all times. Depending on what you post, you could either negatively or positively affect the image of your sorority. Always choose a positive image of you and your sisters having a great time at one of your awesome philanthropy events over a not-so positive one of you “throwin’ what ya know” at the bar.

ReputationWhen it comes down to it, no one wants a paper trail of mistakes to make up their reputation and the perception that other people have of them. The Internet has a great way of keeping everything and deleting nothing. These posts, pictures or even stupid-in-the-moment captions have the ability to stay with us forever. Don’t let one night of fun or one angry tweet ruin your name.

So if you remember just one thing about using social media, it’s to use your head and keep in mind that once it’s out there, it’s out there for everyone and anyone to see.

Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.