samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Why You Should Get Involved on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

I’m nearing the end of my first year of college and if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s to get involved on campus. In highschool, I was very involved and expected to join clubs in college. I’m here to try to convince you to join clubs and get involved on campus.

Almost every school has some sort of club fair during the school year. At Miami, this fair is called Mega Fair. Mega Fair happens at the beginning of fall semester and is a giant event where every club has a table for people to get a feel for what clubs are on campus. I found this event and other school-specific events to find clubs I was interested in.

As a business major, I attended the Farmer specific fair where I found two clubs I absolutely love. One focuses on professional development and networking for all business majors and the other focuses specifically on advertising and marketing. In both clubs, I was able to get involved and in executive positions early on which made each club so much more fun. I have already gained so many skills in each organization and have met so many amazing people.

I didn’t only join business clubs, I also joined Her Campus (obviously) which was a great way for me to get experience writing since that is my second major and I joined an organization my older sister is very involved in. I also joined a sorority second semester which has been one of the greatest decisions of my life (cheesy I know).

I am extremely grateful for the clubs I’ve joined because I’ve gained experience, new friends and have already had opportunities I would have never had if I didn’t involve myself on campus. I think joining clubs and organizations is one of the best parts of college because it gives you something to do, it adds extracurriculars to your resume and it helps you form connections with people you may have never met otherwise.

If you’re going to school you might as well make the most of it. There will never be another time in your life when you will have this many opportunities to join diverse groups with diverse people. Take advantage of the organizations offered at your school and if you can’t find anything you’re interested in then start your own club.

The clubs you decide to join don’t have to be serious, professional development clubs. They can be silly clubs to offer you a break from the stresses of school or they can be clubs about something you’re passionate about. The most important part of it is that it’s something you will look forward to each week and won’t be something that will add extra stress to your day.

Consider getting involved on campus and see the difference it makes in your time on campus. I am the biggest advocate for joining clubs and organizations because I have experienced first hand how it has enriched my first year experience. Find your people and get involved.

Zoe Kelley

Miami (OH) '22

Marketing and Professional Writing student at Miami University in the Farmer School of Business. From West Chester, OH. I love dogs and my family fosters pit bulls. I love to read, write and play piano. My favorite book is Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger, My favorite movie is Chicago and my favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother. I love to go to the beach and I hope to someday live in New York City. I was a dancer for 16 years in all styles.