Why You Need to Read “Little Fires Everywhere”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Scrolling through Instagram, I saw a picture of Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington holding a book with an interesting cover. Being that I love these two actresses, I decided to look more into it.

They were announcing that they will be making the book, Little Fires Everywhere, into a television show.

I typically have to read a book before I watch the movie. If I watch the movie first, then I won’t finish the book because I know what is going to happen.

So, before I left for spring break, I bought the book.

After finishing Lilac Girls (another great book), I embarked on my journey of Little Fires Everywhere.

Two days later, I finished the book.

It takes place in Cleveland, Ohio and Celeste Ng pokes fun at it. Being from Cincinnati, there has always been a competition between the two cities. So, I took enjoyment in her remarks about Cleveland.

Celeste Ng also builds every single character and as a reader, you really get to know them. They all have flaws.

Shaker is a perfect town that has perfect people, so when Mimi and her daughter Pearl move-in, things change. Pearl and Moody develop a beautiful friendship. Lexie influences Pearl as she matures. Mrs. Richardson comes to a realization when Izzy disappears.

It’s a story that emphasizes that everything is not what it seems. Even if a family is perfect, they still have flaws. No one and no family is perfect.

I think I connected with this novel because I come from divorced parents, so my family is not perfect. And, I have heard of other families that are dysfunctional.

Over the years, I have found romantic novels boring because I know what’s going to happen and there’s typically someone always perfect. But, this novel is realistic. It embodies families and relationships we build in our communities.

10/10 would recommend this book.

Now, I am reading Everything I Never Told You by Celest Ng because her writing takes you on a beautiful ride.

Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs