This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

What should you wear to a job interview? Overall, it depends on what kind of job you are applying for. Whether your prospective job is more casual or more upscale, you want to pick an outfit that appears professional while also giving your potential employer a hint of your personality. Here are some ideas to tailor to your own needs and wants.

Dress up a pair of black dress slacks

Invest immediately in a nice, quality pair of black slacks, because these are the most versatile items of interview clothing you will ever own. You can dress them up with a button-down or a blazer and heels of moderate heights, or down with a sweater and flats. Since black slacks are neutral, add interesting details such as eye-catching (but not flashy) colors.

The beauty of button-downs

Button-downs don’t have to be plain. Play with colors that are punchy without being too gaudy, such as sky blue or spring green. You can also experiment with fabrics. Three things to keep in mind: Make sure your bra is covered, avoid showing cleavage, and make sure your shirt can be tucked in.

Blazers

Blazers are also a versatile addition to your interview wardrobe, especially in colors such as black and navy blue. They can be worn with formal outfits such as skirt suits, as well as khaki slacks for more casual interviews.

Statement dresses

Being professional doesn’t mean you can’t experiment with color. For a bolder yet still conservative look, pick a dress in a head-turning color such as turquoise or wine red; to keep things professional, skip the jewelry (except for the very basic), make sure the neckline isn’t too low and the hemline isn’t too high, and pair with black flats or heels.

Caroline is fashionable, creative, and eccentric, though she likes to consider herself whimsical. She is interested in animals, history, fashion, and true crime and wants to be a writer when she grows up (physically; she will never grow up mentally). When not contributing to Her Campus, she can be found studying, working on a million projects at once, people-watching, playing with her beloved cats and dog, writing for fun, and eating red velvet cake.
Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus