What RomComs Really Teach Us About Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Romantic comedies are often accused of lying to women – showing us that love is always a fairytale and that our future boyfriends will look like Ryan Gosling (we can still dream though, right?). But between the kissing in the rain and the long walks on the beach, romantic comedies also hold some very valuable lessons in love.

Here are nine love lessons a girl can learn from watching some of HC’s favorite RomComs:

He’s Just Not That Into YouOne thing to always keep in mind – if a guy truly has feelings for a girl, he will show it.

13 Going On 30 Don’t take anyone or anything for granted. Your perfect match may be just around the corner…or has been possibly living next door to you since you were a teenager.And enjoy being young. You can probably wait to be thirty, flirty and thriving.

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days Don’t put words in a guy’s mouth. If he didn’t say it, don’t pretend like he did. Also sidenote: don’t ever speak in baby talk, please.

When Harry Met Sally Timing is important, but it’s not everything. If it’s meant to be you’ll eventually come together.

The Proposal Step out of your comfort zone and date someone who is not necessarily your “type”. If you’re single there might be a reason for that … maybe your “type” isn’t really what’s best for you.

The Notebook Okay this isn’t a comedy at all, but you can’t talk about romance without bringing up this classic flick. The lesson learned: date who YOU want because YOU want to. Don’t let anyone else tell you how you should feel.

500 Days of SummerIf he isn’t into you romantically, there is nothing you can do to change how he feels. It’s no fun hearing this, but trying to change yourself for someone isn’t fun either.

Legally BlondeDon’t let a breakup ruin your life. Recovery takes time, but you’ll get over it. And hey, maybe you’ll meet a super intelligent, cute lawyer in the mean time!

Notting HillDon’t expect guys to guess what you’re thinking. Just say it.

Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.