mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Vietnam vs. America, according to a Vietnamese student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Minh Nguyen is a first-year student at Miami who is a theater and Japanese double-major. Although we may initially think of Vietnam as practically opposite to America, in my discussions with Minh, it became apparent that the two countries share many similarities even amongst their differences. In terms of education and interpersonal connections, especially, America and Vietnam are very much alike, to an extent that many people had not previously considered.

Food

Minh will admit that there are some differences. She’s adamant that not only is the food in Vietnam better than it is in America but surprisingly, there’s a lot more fried food and desserts that are readily available in Vietnam. As well, one of the most surprising things that she found in America was the existence of restaurants. In Vietnam, almost all pre-made food is bought at outdoor street vendors, a commodity that is reserved almost exclusively for parades and sports games here.

The Arts

In Vietnam, the majority of artistic expression is traditional in nature, centered around cultural values and legends. While she loves the traditions of her country, she also loves the more avant-garde music and stories which are popular in the West. Although, an interesting fact: many people don’t play video games in Vietnam, as consoles are too expensive for many to afford.

Education

Many of us have experienced the stress that the American education system puts on its students, and unfortunately, it’s a similar case in Vietnam. High test scores are imperative, and students spend hours each night studying. However, there is one major difference between the two systems. In Vietnam, there is no focus on the arts, even at universities, unlike in America.

Interpersonal relationships

Unlike in America, where people are encouraged to defy their superiors if what they want disagrees with their personal belief system, In Vietnam, there is a strict social hierarchy based on age, with the elders in society being indisputable sources of authority due to their wisdom and experience. But, in terms of friendships between peers, there is virtually no difference between Vietnam and America.

Lorelyn Nolte

Miami (OH) '22

Hi, I'm a Freshman at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. I'm majoring in Creative Writing and plan to be a book editor and author after college.
Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20