Uptown Tonight, Hungover Tomorrow: Tips For Curing A Hangover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

As the great philosopher Kanye West once said, “Sunglasses and Advil, last night was mad real.” When you wake up saying, “I’m never drinking again” (we all know that’s not true), here are a few foolproof cures to make you feel good as new.

Problem 1: Woke up in the morning with that “oh no” feeling …

Cure: Instead of heading to the local McDonalds for that greasy breakfast sandwich and hash brown, raid your fridge for a piece of fruit and eggs instead.

Why: Alcohol lowers your blood sugar level, so a sweet piece of fruit will help replenish your blood. Along with the fruit, drag yourself to the stove to make yourself eggs for some extra energy. Scientists have found that eggs contain cysteine, which helps breaks down acetaldehyde, a toxin that causes our dreaded hangovers.

Problem 2: I woke up feeling like I have the liquor flu …

Cure: Have a stash of Vitamin C next to your bed and take the recommended dose with water.

Why: Because Vitamin C is an antioxidant, it can help minimize the side effects of a rowdy night uptown and relieve the headaches in the morning.

Problem 3: Rushing to class at 8 a.m. and feeling queasy as your professor hands you a pop quiz …

Cure: Remember to stock your fridge with sports drinks or coconut water for those mornings when you need a quick pick-me-up.

Why: Sports drinks and coconut water are packed with electrolytes that help restore your body’s necessary minerals such as sodium, potassium and magnesium. Hydration is also key after a boozy night, so fluids are essential for the morning after.

For the advanced: Wake up early (7 or 8 a.m.), take one dose of painkillers, chug some water and head back to bed for a few hours. This gives your body time to rehydrate and restore proper blood levels. This remedy will allow you to wake more refreshed and ready for the day!

And remember, drinking water before, during and after alcohol consumption can help alleviate hangover symptoms. And drinking responsibly works every time!

Sydney Stiles is a junior contributing writer for Her Campus, Miami (OH).
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.