Top 5 reasons Why Forest Whitaker Is The Perfect 2014 Commencement Speaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

As most of you may know, the commencement speaker for the 2014 graduating class is none other than actor Forest Whitaker! Along with being an award winning actor, Forest is also a producer, writer, and director. Here are five reasons why Forest Whitaker is HC-approved to commence this year’s graduation ceremony.

One: Whitaker has directed a number of music videos, including Whitney Houston’s “Exhale (Shoop Shoop)”. I mean c’mon, who doesn’t love a little Whitney?

Two: In 2006, he won critical acclaim for his powerful performance as dictator Idi Amin in the film The Last King of Scotland. The role earned him numerous awards, including the Best Actor Academy Award.

Three: In 2013, he starred as the lead in the highly talked about biopic The Butler alongside the one and only, Oprah Winfrey.

Four: Forest was nominated for a SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role in The Butler.

Five: Whitaker made his feature film debut in 1982’s seminal teen comedy Fast Times at Ridgemont High, with Nicolas Cage and Sean Penn.

So, there you have it. He is more than a triple threat and if the Her Campus Miami team wasn’t already excited for graduation as it is, now we can’t wait any longer! If you are in need of something relaxing to do this weekend, kick back with a Forest Whitaker movie marathon and get pumped to see him in the flesh on May 17th!

For more information on this respected actor and humanitarian’s upcoming address to the class of 2014, check out the following article posted on Miami’s e-Report. 

puppy mom and cupcake enthusiast. HXCO LOVE & HONOR
Alex McNulty

Miami (OH)