Tokyo to Host 2020 Olympic Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

The votes are in and the results are official: Tokyo has been chosen to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games after beating out Istanbul and Madrid.

Japan has been selected to play host to the sporting event for the very first time in 1940, but The Games were cancelled due to World War II. The country then hosted the Olympics in 1964 but hasn’t held the international even since, so you can imagine that the announcement was met with beautiful scenes of celebration in Japan! Natives, as well as the Japanese government, are particularly excited due to the fact that their victory in the race to host makes them the first Asian city to host The Games twice.

This victory marks a particularly special milestone for the nation. To many of the Japanese people, hosting this grand event is a dream realized after the catastrophic aftermath of a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and devastating tsunami in 2011.

Here’s what else you should know about the home to the Olympic and Paralympic Games taking place only six years from now:

Tokyo is the capital of Japan and is the largest metropolitan area in the entire world. It serves as the epicenter of the Japanese government and is home to the Japanese Imperial family. The city is also the world’s most populous metropolitan area, containing more than 35 million people. The beautiful city holds ranks with New York City and London for being one of the three “command centers” for the world economy.

This gigantic city is rich with history and tradition, buzzing with an incredibly fashionable young crowd, and offers a cityscape visually striking to even the most experienced traveler. The metropolis contains numerous art museums and gardens, as well as venues such as the Tokyo Dome and the National Stadium that will be ideal for hosting upcoming Olympic events.

With a “go big or go home” attitude and a vibrant culture awe-inspiring to people all around the world, Tokyo will in time, undoubtedly prove itself to be a great choice for the 2020 Summer Games. The hardest part now is waiting; waiting to see just how the capital steps up to the plate and leaves a unique mark on the Olympic Games!

Hannah Harp

Miami (OH)

Hannah Harp is a senior studying Journalism and Psychology at Miami University. She is a co-editor, contributing writer, and photoblogger for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.