This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Cuffing season is officially almost upon us.  For those of you who have no clue what I’m talking about, let me fill you in. Cuffing season spans throughout the winter months, during the time of all the couple-y holidays (think Christmas, New Year’s Eve, Valentine’s Day) and the majority of people usually want a significant other to do all of those couple-y things with. 

Of course, you always have the option of flying solo this cuffing season – sitting alone watching romantic holiday movies with no one to bring you hot chocolate, listening to your parents ask your sister’s significant other a thousand questions while you silently pour gravy on your third plate of mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving, and kissing your champagne glass on New Year’s Eve – doesn’t that sound fun! 

There are many people out there who don’t need someone to do all of the holiday activities with but if you do, let me walk you through some pros and cons. 

Technically, we’re only in the cuffing pre-season, but it’s never too early to scout out who you want to be making hot chocolate and popcorn with on the weekends (and let them see you in only sweats and your old high school sweatshirt with that stain you could never get out, but that’s not important right now). It’s basically an extreme sport. Cuffing season can be hard because it’s almost like a “friends with benefits” situation except the benefits aren’t just physical. Your cuffing season buddy will most likely be there on Friday nights when everyone else goes out and all you want to do is cuddle up and watch every version of the Grinch while eating three batches of pumpkin cookies (we’ve all been there don’t worry). The point is, this person is going to be just as lazy as you are and neither of you will judge the other for it. 

The only downfall is when the snow melts and the Valentine’s Day candy goes on sale at the grocery store. Both of you are left with this question: Do we continue seeing each other or move on and pretend that you didn’t watch me drool all over the couch last Friday night when I fell asleep early? If you stop seeing each other there is a chance of just being friends, but most likely both of you will just move on. However, if you continue seeing them it might work out or you might discover that your cuffing season buddy dresses like a frat boy in the summer (absolutely terrifying). 

The choice is really yours to make. If you’re lucky, you might find the person just right for you and you can live happily ever after, or you can opt-out of participating in cuffing season and fly solo all winter long. I, personally, am already scouting for cuffing season so if you don’t see me this winter, mind your own business. 

travel enthusiast and coffee dependent marketing and creative writing major
Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20