Tips for Keeping Your LinkedIn Up-to-Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

We have all heard it: “make sure your LinkedIn is updated.” But how can we actually use this platform to land a job, internship or an opportunity in the real world?

Miami University Career Services representative Joe Pesek gave us the low down on LinkedIn and tips for showcasing our experiences and skills on the web.

1. Check up on it.It might sound obvious, but make sure you are constantly checking your LinkedIn profile and keeping your work experience up-to-date. Look at your friends’ LinkedIns, other company’s posts and job openings. By doing this you can constantly make improvements and ensure you are coming up on recruiter’s newsfeeds.

2. Get recommendations.Request recommendations from your previous managers or co-workers to set yourself apart on LinkedIn.

3. Keep your LinkedIn photo professional.Make sure your photo enhances what you are trying to convey to potential recruiters. Miami University offers photo headshots for free, which are perfect for your LinkedIn profile, so take advantage of that.

4. Follow all companies and people you are interested in.Companies post relevant information you can touch on during an interview, and by creating a summary statement to articulate your passions, personality, skills and interests, you can differentiate yourself.

5. Link it to your Gmail.For additional contacts you can link your profile to your email account and sync contacts. Expanding your network is the best way to make relevant connections and utilize your LinkedIn.

Morgan Weemhoff is a sophomore at Miami University. She is the Event Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.