A Sentimental Senior: What I’ll Miss Most About Oxford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Anytime I tell someone I’m a senior the first question they ask is “are you excited for graduation?” Each time I get asked that question, I’m filled with so many different emotions. Am I excited to be done with classes and homework? Absolutely. Am I excited to leave college life? Not even a little bit. 

Miami and Oxford have been my home for the past four years. Some days it feels like I just moved into my freshman dorm, and on others it feels like I’ve been here forever. I’ve truly come to love the city of Oxford and have recently found myself realizing that soon it won’t be home anymore. This is a bit of a love letter to Oxford mixed with recommendations of what you should appreciate about your time left at Miami. 

1. Walking down High Street on a sleepy, sunny morning. 

Walking to class is my favorite part of my day. I usually take High Street to get to campus and it never looks prettier than when the sidewalks are empty and the sun is shining through the trees onto the brick road. 

1. Kofenya

I love Starbucks as much as the next girl, but Kofenya holds a special place in my heart. For starters, the coffee is definitely better. Not to mention that it’s the perfect place to study and is a quintessential coffee house. It has such a cozy vibe that you could spend hours there, and it makes studying suck a little bit less. 

1. Fall on Miami’s campus

Fall is my favorite season, by far. Fall on Miami’s campus is even better. Everything looks so beautiful and picture perfect it makes me want to stop every five minutes to try and capture it in a picture. 

1. Small town life

I love cities and plan to move to a city after graduation. But throughout my time in Oxford, I’ve realized there’s something to be said for small-town life. I’ll miss that all of my friends are walking distance away from me. I’ll miss the farmers market and food you can only get here (Skippers’ mac bites will be deeply missed). 

1. Oxford Sunsets 

Yes, there are sunsets literally everywhere. And yet, there’s something about a sunset in Oxford. I feel like I’ve never seen the sky look as beautiful as it does here anywhere else. 

Just another college girl with a love for writing, coffee, and adventures. 
Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20