Senior Track-Star: Jordan Goffena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Name: Jordan Goffena
Year: Senior
Major: Life Science Education & Zoology
Hometown: Sidney, Ohio

I thoroughly enjoyed writing this entry because our Campus Celeb of the week reigns from my hometown of Sidney, Ohio. I’ve grown up with Jordan, and it has been extremely exciting for me to watch him become the amazing and talented student-athlete that he is today.

HC: What event do you participate in on Miami’s track team?
JG: I do the Decathlon. It’s a combination of 10 events inside one larger event. The first day we do the 100M run, Long Jump, Shot Put, High Jump, and the 400M run. The second day we do the 110M Hurdles, Discus, Pole Vault, Javelin, and 1500M run.  I also participate on the 4X4 and other open events.

HC: What are some of your greatest accomplishments from your track career at Miami?
JG: Last year I placed in the Miami Track & Field All-Time Top 10 in the 110M Hurdles with the 10th fastest time.  More importantly, I placed 6th All-Time in the Decathlon and set Personal Records in most of my events; I was able to PR in most of my events because last year was only my second year doing the decathlon. I placed 3rd in Decathlon at the MAC Conference Championship, 5th in the 110M Hurdles, and 6th with the 4X4 team where we set a season best time.

HC: What do you enjoy most about being on the track team?
JG: To me, track is not just a sport, it’s a lifestyle.  Track has always been a major part of my life and I’ve been obsessed with it ever since I started running in 7th grade. No matter where I am or who I’m with, track will always be track and it will serve its purpose in my life. But here at Miami, the guys on the team are all different than the stereotypical student-athlete.  We are all nerdy in our own ways and we often debate about various things everyday such as philosophy, social issues and even quantum physics!  I really enjoy that atmosphere and it keeps the practices interesting.

HC: Who have been some influential people in your life that helped you get to where you are?
JG: The first thing that comes to mind is my family!  My parents never missed a single meet through high school and now that I am at a school that is closer to home (Jordan is a transfer student from Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo) they are able to come to almost every meet.  Also, my coaches are extremely important to me.  My high school coaches, specifically Chris Zink and Jason McGaharan, provided me with a solid base going into college but I give most of credit to my current coach, Ceith Creekmur, because if it weren’t for him I would not have been able to conceptualize the multitude of events that we have in the decathlon.

HC: What are your goals for this year’s season?
JG: This is my last college track season so I have set high expectations for myself.  I am looking to improve all my events little by little until the season gets here so I can acquire the points to qualify for nationals.  I know it’s a big goal, but I think it’s possible if all the right progressions are met.  Also, I am hoping to get into the Top 3 All-Time in the decathlon and improve my 110 hurdle time to the Top 5.

HC: What do you want to do after Miami?
JG: When I’m done at Miami, I would like to become a college track and field coach. Being an official coach would be nice, but realistically I will probably acquire a GA position on a track team while getting a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership.

HC: Are you involved in any other campus activities?
JG: I’m a representative for the track team on the Redhawk council, the male representative for all student-athletes on the President’s Coalition. Last year, I was a national member of the National Science Teacher’s Association (NSTA) and this year I am a member of the Miami University National Science Teacher’s Association (MUNSTA).

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.