etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Savvy Spring Break Saving Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Tight on cash and can’t go on a fabulous spring break trip? Think again. It’s not too late to arrange a cheap, yet fabulous vacation. Just follow HC’s saving tips and you’ll be stacking up the “likes” on Instagram pics of your trip in no time.

1. Do your researchGroupon gives new deals everyday, starting at 50% to 90% off. These discounts include cheap flights, train tickets, hotel rooms, etc. When you give Groupon your email address, it sends you daily updates on major discounts. Also try Orbitz and GetGoing, which will help you narrow down your options and pick the best deal. To find fun and cheap activities in your destination, check out Peek.

HC Tip: Keep in mind that Tuesdays/Wednesdays are usually the least expensive days for flights, while Friday and Sunday usually offer more pricey flight options.

2. Travel with more people; meet new friendsThere are lots of websites for college students, like EF College Break and Contiki, that offer trips for groups of college students from all over the country. Sure, it may seem awkward at first, but keep in mind that most people on this trip won’t know anyone else either. You may end up meeting a life-long friend. Who knows, he/she might be a great resource for networking for summer internships and future job offers!

HC Tip: Recruit your friend that has never left Ohio or post on Miami U’s Facebook page about where your destination location is going to be! You might find another student on campus going to the exact same place. Reach out to them and extend an invite; they might just join you on your trip and cut down the price per person.

3. Use your student status to your advantageSTA Travel and StudentUniverse are great websites that offer exclusive student discounts on flights, hotel rooms, etc. These websites can also give you helpful travel guides and popular, inexpensive activities that many students participate in depending on their destination.

HC Tip: Never be afraid to ask if a store or museum has a student discount policy! You’ll be surprised at how much you can save with your student ID!

4. Visit peoplePeople will be flattered that you want to visit them, whether it be your old best friend from high school or your great aunt. Tell them ahead of time that you will do your own dishes, help clean the house, take pets for walks, etc. They will appreciate that you’re offering to help out around the house and you’ll get a homey stay for your vacay without paying for a costly hotel room or sketchy motel.