Restart Your New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Let’s be honest, you thought that 2014 was going to be “your year,” the year that you fulfill those hard-earned personal fitness goals. Many of you ambitious ones may have made it a few weeks into the New Year, but soon your goals began to dissipate as you traded in your Monday night spin class for The Bachelor, and in various weak moments swapped your morning smoothie for the last of the holiday cookies you had left in the freezer. You might feel reluctant to restart your health goals as the semester starts picking up speed with exams and parties, but I’m here to share with you some helpful hints that can gear you into shape and help you restart your New Year’s resolution.

1. Hydrate:

Drinking water is an excellent way to keep your metabolism moving. Trade in your typical 3:00 AM Friday night Will’s pizza with 20 oz. of Smart Water, and not only will you ditch those cheesy calories, but the added electrolytes will make that dreaded “morning after” feeling a little more bearable.

2. Pick AT LEAST two days a week to get your booty to the Rec:

No “ifs, ands, or buts.” Try to squeeze in at least 20 minutes of cardio and don’t be scared to make the journey downstairs to work with some weights. You think Beyonce would let a couple of macho college boys intimidate her? Not a chance. Get after it, and strut your stuff downstairs, girls!

3. Eat breakfast:

This doesn’t mean quickly noshing on the open bag of chips you have laying on your nightstand before you book it to class. Try a bowl of oatmeal sprinkled with your favorite berries or whole-grain toast with peanut butter and sliced banana on top.

4. Snack responsibly:

Snacking can be a completely normal part of your healthy daily routine, but only in moderation. Keep protein bars, trail mix, or a piece of fruit in your book bag at all times to keep your body fueled and distracted from the temptation of sugary study sweets available around campus.

5. Be spontaneous:

Staying fit does NOT need to be a drag. There are plenty of exciting group fitness classes at the Rec. Try IndoRow or Spin & Sculpt! These classes incorporate high energy music to keep you entertained and motivated.

6. Give your body a rest:

We all wish we were invincible and could go out every night of the week and not feel any negative side effects, but this is obviously not the case. Give yourself the rest your body deserves (at least 7 hours of sleep) and you will feel and look better than ever!

Lexi Sunberg

Miami (OH)

HC Writer