Renewing your New Years Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It’s a new year, new you…right? Most of us spent the last week of December 2011 deciding what we wanted to improve upon in the upcoming year. We reflected on the year past and brainstormed about how we wanted to make 2012 even better. Perhaps you decided to eat healthier or to get involved with a new club or organization on campus.
However, you know realize that New Year’s Day has come and gone with little effort towards your resolution. Between sorority recruitment, back-to-school shopping, and syllabus week, you’ve been slacking. Don’t give up! Each morning you have a chance to re-start your resolution, jump back on the horse and keep going.

Resolution
: “I want to lose weight.”
Problem: You’ve been so busy that the Rec isn’t an option and late nights out have led to an overdose on greasy pizza.
What you can do: Set a more specific and detailed plan: instead of a vague “lose weight”, commit to working out a certain number of days or hours per week. At the beginning of each week, open your planner and write down (in permanent marker if need be!) the days and times you are able to hit up the Rec. If you organize your time before the week begins, it will be much easier to balance your busy life. Take 10 minutes each Sunday to look through your planner, write down all your assignments, exams and classes you have that week and make time to exercise! Do not make the mistake of starving yourself, thinking that you can lose weight quicker that way. If you don’t eat, your body will cling to any nutrients it has and slow your metabolism. You’ll gain back any weight you lost and won’t have any energy to work out!

Resolution: “I want to join a new club or organization.”’
Problem: You don’t know where to begin. There are so many different organizations and you may be intimidated.
What you can do: Don’t be shy! Ask girls in your corridor or people in your classes if you know they’re in a club you may be interested in joining. It may be the middle of the year but many student organizations have information nights and recruitment through January. Pay attention to bulletin boards at the libraries and also in the halls of your classroom buildings where there are often fliers with valuable information. Even if you are nervous or shy, think about the bottom line: you’ll meet people, make new friends, and create an awesome conversation topic to discuss in job interviews.

Resolution
: “I want to boost my GPA.”
Problem: You’re taking 18 credit hours, chock-full of classes you think you won’t understand.
What you can do: Before you do anything, you must organize your books, folders, notebooks, etc. Have a color-code system: your red folder and red notebook is for your business class, your blue folder is for your accounting class, etc. The more organized you are, the better. You can also purchase an assignment pad or day planner. As mentioned before, spend time each Sunday writing down all assignments, midterms and exams you have for the upcoming week. Once you see all you have ahead of you, schedule in library time as well and commit to it.
Think of your study time at the library as another class and do not blow it off for a night uptown or a dinner out with friends. Lastly, utilize any help the university has to offer. Request a tutor or attend your professor’s office hours. They will appreciate your extra effort in learning the material, and a personal relationship with them is always a plus.

Resolution: “I want to land an internship or job.”
Problem: I don’t know where to begin.
What you can do: One of the most basic and important tips you must remember is to network. The more people you introduce yourself to the better. Talk with your professors and advisers and strive to get to know them on a more personal level. They often have connections and contacts that may help you down the road. You will also want to head to the Career Services building in Hoyt Hall or Western Campus. They are extremely helpful and offer a vast array of services such as mock interviews and resume-building workshops. Career Services is one of the most important and valuable tools you have on Miami’s campus. Don’t forget the spring ICE (Internship and Career Expo) on February 8th. Hundreds of employers are coming to Miami in search of people like you!  Choose a few companies you know you want to talk to, do a little research on each and attend the ICE informed and with questions. 

Celeste Kalouria is a Senior at Miami University. She is the Social Media Director as well as a Contributing Writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.
Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.