The Perfect Mother’s Day Gift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

The older you get, the more you value the primary female role model in your life. Whether that is your mom, grandma, stepmom, or someone else, the time to honor that woman is quickly approaching. Sometimes it’s tricky to choose something for mom that works in your college student budget, so here are some ideas to make that search easier. All of the options are $50 or less.

1. Send her flowers

Surprise her with flowers from a company like proflowers.com. They have tons of bouquets to choose from in every budget, plus you get to select a vase to go with it. This adds a personal touch if your mom really loves purple or wants blue to match the colors in her kitchen. My favorite selection is this bouquet of two dozen brightly colored roses for $32.96.

2. Take her to lunch

Give mom a lunch “coupon” and take her to a spot where you can take you time and talk. Even somewhere like Panera bread is special, and you can easily pay for the date with $25 or less. After finishing another school year, she is sure to want to catch up on how finals went, your summer plans, and your fun memories of 2012-2013.

3. Send her to the spa

Sure, this is cliche, but it’s a classic. Every woman loves to get pampered, whether her preference is a pedicure or a massage. She works hard and could definitely use some “me” time. Bonus if you go together!

4. Give her something pretty to brighten her kitchen

This is for moms who love to cook or play hostess. If your mom is practically Bakerella, give her these whimsical and bright floral measuring cups. She will remember you every time she makes homemade chocolate chip cookies (and hopefully that means she’ll send some your way!) These are found via gifts.com for $29.95.

5. Give the gift of reading

Sign her up for pleasure reading on your dime! There are so many magazines out there that you are sure to find a subscription that is right for your mom. Some great choices include: Cooking Light, Women’s Health, Allure, and Real Simple. You can often buy a whole year’s worth for well under $20.

6. Make her music sound great

Whether your mom likes to listen to tunes while she works out, gardens, or relaxes, everyone can use some high-quality hardware for their ears. These Ironman Yurbuds are durable and great for exercise. The price tag for this gift comes in at $39.49 on Amazon. You can also purchase an iTunes gift card at any price point via the Apple iTunes store.

Hopefully one of these gifts is the right fit for the wonderful woman in your life. Mother’s Day is May 12, only a few weeks away, so start planning!

Katlyn Byers

Miami (OH)

Kate Byers is in the minority as a married college student as of August 13, 2011 (!). As a Senior English Major with a Communication minor, she is frequently found curled up somewhere with a book or notepad. A co-founder of the Miami University branch, Kate spends most of her time behind the scenes as editor. She has also had an internship in Human Resources. Kate has a passion for all things food; an avid fan of The Next Food Network Star, much of Kate's free time is spent in the kitchen, baking something yummy for her friends or husband, Nick. Her favorite band is Coldplay, and one of her great guilty pleasures is musical theatre. Although her roots are in Cincinnati, she dreams of moving to New York City after graduation to look for Public Relations or Journalism opportunities. The 2011-2012 school year will be a big one for Kate both personally and in her new adventure with Her Campus!