Oxford’s Hidden Gems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

We all know that Apple Tree is the cutest place to grab a Lily Planner or an Alex and Ani bracelet, Brick Street is the place to go on Tuesday nights and Mac & Joe’s is the spot to be for game night (or the perfect hangover cure). But what about when you want to get away from the norm? After three years, just when I thought I had my favorite small town figured out, I started finding out about the secret gems of Oxford during the end of my junior year, and how to make the most of my last year in the OxBox. Take it from a senior don’t wait four years to give these gems a try.

Wine NightPinot. Chardonnay. Merlot. Moscato. It doesn’t matter, every girl loves a good glass (or bottle) of wine after a hard day. So when Monday night rolls around make sure to stop at Quarter Barrel for half priced bottles of wine! Nothing compares to their Pinot Grigio and Margherita Lavosh combo. It’s guaranteed to get you through any rough Monday.

On Wednesday nights you can cozy up in an all-wooden booth and listen to an acoustic band at O’Pub for more half priced wine by the bottle. It gets pretty crowded, so get there early! If you’re in the mood for an all out wine tasting, be sure to check out Cru Wine Bar, Oxford’s first wine bar (next to Patterson’s). Cru has over 20 wines and 30 specialty beers, vodkas, gins, bourbons and scotches. Happy Hour is Tuesday through Thursday and there is live music on Fridays and Saturdays.

Walker’s Footwear and ApparelOxford’s hidden gem clothing store has everything and more to offer. You can find brands from Steve Madden, Frye Boots and Jack Rogers to The North Face, Patagonia and Southern Tide. They have every color Patagonia fleece under the sun and BCBG designer apparel. Walker’s is also the only store in Oxford that carries the brand LA Made, a high quality-clothing designer for women. And lucky for us, Walker’s has many sales throughout the school year (some up to 50% off)!

Dinner SpecialsBeing on a college diet and having almost no money to spend, it’s best to know where to get a great dinner for an even better price. Sushi Nara is the place to be Sunday through Tuesday (5-9 p.m.) for half priced rolls. If you’re feeling really ambitious, come back on Thursday for $3 Sake Bombs.

When you’re in the mood for a Mexican dinner, 45 East holds Margarita Mondays with 99 cent Margaritas, $2.50 Corona Lights, half priced nachos and the fish tacos are 25 percent off.

When pizza and pasta are calling your name, order Paesano’s Pasta House on Tuesdays where you can get 25 percent off your meal on Take Out Tuesdays! When Mom and Dad are no longer paying for dining hall meals, discount dinners are definitely the way to go.

Miami University Student Alpha Phi Chicago, IL sheak@miamioh.edu
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.