The Night Owls of Oxford and Where to Find Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Post midnight in Oxford is a strange and awesome time, especially on the weekends. It’s no secret that many college kids forego wayyyyyy too much sleep and are uncommonly active until the wee hours of the morning. The night owls of Oxford are a rare and wonderful breed and if you happen to be awake and around town in their peak hours, these are the types you might encounter. 

12:15 A.M. – The Brick Street Benders

Now that Stadium is closed down, nearly all of the bumpers and grinders have made their moves to the Brick Street dance floor. This crowd knows the perfect time to show up before the lines get too long, some flashing their VIP cards to by-pass the usually tight security. There are the guys creepily holding up the wall around the dance floor and the shameless students flaunting their moves front and center. You might know a few of the local celebs who have been featured on the Miami Makeout twitter account who proudly claim membership to this group of night owls. If you’re looking for to fit in with this fun and wild group, get out on the middle  of the dance floor and get down and dirty with the best of ’em. 

1:00 A.M. – Club King V.I.P.s

Just before King Cafe closes, the majority will make a mad rush to grab that last grande mocha or energy drink to keep them awake for hours. Continue up to the first floor to find the hearty group projects, tirelessly working as a team to share their favorite YouTube videos with each other, complain about the assignment and eventually finish it. You’ll find the most studious of the V.I.P.s on the quiet second and third floors, or maybe everyone up there is actually asleep. 

1:30 A.M. – The Hatchlings

There is a new bar in Oxford that has created a special breed of night owl.  These men are the daring and bold Hathlings who frequent Oxford’s new shot bar, The Hatch. The folks you will find here probably have on more then one colorful wristband indicating their many stops throughout the night and it’s likely this bar isn’t their last. Don’t be offended if it’s hard to get to know this group, chances are good they might not remember your name even after you;ve met a few times.

2:00 A.M. – Shriver Socialites

This scene reveals a quirky mix of latenighters. After the bars close down, this group finds it hard to resist the warmth and aroma of a cheesy calzone as they migrate back to campus. If uptown isn’t your scene, Shriver past midnight is also home to groups playing cards and enjoying a few rounds of pool. If you’re a single gal, one of the late night movies here might be a fun place to take a date and split some bosco sticks and a seat with.

2:30 A.M. – Adventurous Appetites

These fearless creatures have an iron stomach and late night Taco Bell or Bruno’s is no match for their ferocious hunger. A night out on the town will certainly work up their appetites and it’s not uncommon to be elbow to elbow with one of these night owls at Bagel & Deli competing for the last Messy Katie before they close. They have an appreciation for late-night cuisine that many of us will never understand. 

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.