MU Thon 2014 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Saturday, March 15th was the day of the biggest annual dance event of the year at the Miami University. The MU Dance Marathon (MU Thon), geared towards raising money for the Cincinatti Children’s Hospital, had students learn a new part of the huge group dance every hour for the duration of the twelve hour fundraising event. Read on to find out about the overall event and success of MU Thon as told by freshman Amanda Bruno.

“The event was so much fun!”, exclaimed Bruno. “There were so many things to do!” She proceeded to explain how while the dancing was a huge part of the event, there were so many other activities that took place during the event as a whole. Amongst the events planned was an opportunity to hear from families who had actually been treated at the Children’s Hospital about what they went through as a family. There were also spirit competitions and a room filled with pictures of kids who had been treated. According to Bruno, there were also bags left out in the open in which the participants of the event could leave notes of encouragement for the children being treated. “It was so sweet,” Bruno commented, regarding the notes. The event also consisted of the Best Buddies Choir who came to perform for the participants. Also present at the event were service dogs in training that participants could play with (a nice break from dancing around the clock!).

As a whole, this year’s MU Thon raised over $20,000; that is $24,406.95 to be exact! Tri Delta earned the spot as the top fundraising team and took the prize of a free event at the Woods. The MU Thon leadership team brought together students in order to raise money for a great cause benefitting children and their families from all over resulting in an extremely rewarding and humbling event!