Miami’s Skimm’bassador: Tybie Geleerd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Meet one of theSkimm brand ambassadors for Miami University, Tybie Geleerd! Looking for an entertaining, easy access, quick read on current events of the day? theSkimm sounds like the right pick for you! Tybie Geleerd is a freshman here at Miami University and she represents theSkimm as a brand ambassador. Joining her as Skimm’bassadors are Caroline Bevan and Shannon Pesek, who all promote and advertise this new daily e-mail newsletter around campus to all aspects of the Miami community.

HC: What is theSkimm?

TB: theSkimm is a daily newsletter delivered in e-mail form. It is quick, witty, easy to comprehend, and relevant. You can read the daily e-mail newsletter in two minutes or less.

HC: How did you find out about theSkimm?

TB: One of the founder’s sisters went to my high school. I was aware of what it was in the early stages. The founder’s family knew I was attending Miami University and they asked me to be an ambassador to represent theSkimm at Miami University. I have a personal connection with theSkimm, therefore it truly holds a special place in my heart. It is something I am proud of because a lot of people do appreciate it.

HC: What do you do on a weekly basis?

TB: The other ambassadors and I set weekly goals for ourselves. For example, I will set a goal to talk to a certain sorority or find a way to get into a club meeting to promote theSkimm. We network with family members and friends to target groups of people to get the word out. All ambassadors have weekly phone conversations with a head ambassador along with other ambassadors from other schools.

HC: What do you do as an ambassador for theSkimm?

TB: The three of us get together at least once a week. We brainstorm on how to advertise and promote the Skimm around campus. We make flyers, bookmarks, posters, etc. and try to cater to Miami as well as we can to relate theSkimm to the university and Oxford community. We don’t actually write anything for theSkimm, we soley promote it on a college campus and make people aware of what it is and how they can get access to it.

HC: How is theSkimm different from other online publications?

TB: theSkimm is witty, easy to access, short, and sent in an e-mail. There is new fresh and recent content on theSkimm every single day. It is a quick, easy publication at your fingertips at any time of the day.

HC: What type of content is covered on theSkimm?

TB: theSkimm mainly covers current events, and what is happening on that specific day. Unlike other online newsletters and magazines, theSkimm does not have specific categories that are updated. It depends on what is currently happening in the world. Information can include anything from sports and style to TV entertainment and breaking news. For instance, when the Oscars season rolled around, theSkimm provided an “Oscars breakdown” of what movies, actors, performers etc. were going to be featured at the Oscars. They recently have been summing up NCAA game scores and covered March Madness. It is not what category, it is more of,  “What’s going on for the day”, “Things that are currently happening”.

HC: Who is theSkimm’s target demographic?

TB: We (college students) are the target age group, but it definitely goes beyond. I sent it to my dad and his friends and they all thought it was funny and relatable. It goes across generations, which is really neat.

HC: Why is it called theSkimm?

TB: I am not exactly sure as to how the name was created, but to me it is simple, easy to read, and the “skimming” factor of it is what holds to the name. The lady with the purse holding the tablet on theSkimm’s logo ideally is the target reader. The target readers are women who have these big, successful careers and don’t have all the time in the world to sit down and watch the news or to read a newspaper. However, they do still have the time to pull their tablets out and read theSkimm. Just to be clear, theSkimm is not just for women, men read and enjoy the publication as much as women do.

Want to subscribe to theSkimm? Click here to get hooked today and for further questions regarding theSkimm, drop Tybie a note at geleertr@miamioh.edu to learn more about how you can get involved on campus!

Check out theSkimm’s Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest and Facebook page for daily news updates.