Meet Panhellenic’s Newest Position

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Olivia Koury, a sophomore Chemical Engineering major from Toledo, is involved in Gamma Phi Beta, but recently decided to take on a position on Panhellenic’s executive team. Check out why she loves greek life and the panhellenic community!

HC: What do you do as Vice President of Scholarship and Learning?

O: I coordinate efforts related to scholarship and learning with chapters and the Fraternity and Sorority Community. I also Promote faculty and staff relations at MU and plan events relating to these relations, for example, an ice cream social appreciation event that will be happening this spring. Finally, I have roundtables with all scholarship chairs in each chapter. Currently, I am trying to put together a Panhellenic wide tutoring program.

HC: What are the biggest challenges you have faced in your position?

O: The biggest challenges I have faced in my position have mostly been just figuring out what I am supposed to be doing. This position was created last year so I have had a lot of freedom in deciding what I want to do with it, which is super cool but also difficult.

HC: What made you want to run for a Panhellenic position, specifically VP of Scholarship and Learning?

O: I wanted to run for a Panhellenic position because I think the Greek community is unlike any other on campus. We have so many great opportunities and I want to help women realize these and reach their highest potential. I also think that learning is a very important part of being in college, which is why I want to provide even more resources and help to women in this area.

Olivia with her Gamma Phi Beta sisters.

HC: What made you want to join Greek life?

O: I wanted to join Greek life ever since I was little because I had grown up hearing stories about my Mom’s sorority sisters and seeing how her friendships from her sorority lasted so long. I’m so glad that I went Greek because now I have so many amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta!

HC: What’s your favorite thing about Gamma Phi Beta?

O: My favorite thing about Gamma Phi Beta is definitely the people. I get to hang out with so many amazing women that I am lucky enough to call my sisters.

HC: What other organizations are you involved in and what made you choose them?

O: I am also involved in MAP on campus. I always loved planning and working events in high school and I was super excited to be a part of a club like this in college.

HC: What is a quote you live by?

O: One quote I live by is from the Last Lecture, “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.”

Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs