This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Some people advise against living with your best friend because it creates drama, conflict, and problems when you realize you don’t really get along as well as you thought you did. I am sure you have heard this before, that by week three you will be at each other’s throats because she comes in late and you wake up early, and she left her Bagel and Deli sandwich on her desk for two weeks, so now, not only does your room smell, but you have to look at a rotting bagel. 

However, if you know your best friend, accept their living habits, and work to make your room a comfortable place, living with your best friend is one of the best decisions you could possibly make. During my Sophomore year of college, I started living with my best friend. She is courageous, kind, loving, and, one of the funniest people I know. She inspires me to push myself to try new things and to be my best self. We have dance parties when we are stressed, we have unscheduled snack times on the weekends, we binge-watch romcoms together, sometimes, we don’t even leave our room. 

Living with your best friend can definitely be a mess if you are not compatible to live together. However, if your living habits align, it is the best decision. After a hard day, I run home because I know my best friend will be there eating some delicious vegan concoction and watching TikToks that make us both laugh until we cry. 

Take the risk. Live with your best friend. I promise, it will be worth it, and you will see yourself grow as a person because of their generosity, thoughtfulness, and that it will make college feel so much more like somewhere to call home.

Sarah Cucco

Miami (OH) '22

Hi, I'm Sarah. I am an English Literature and English Education Major!