The Lion King Is Getting a Remake and the Cast Will Leave You Mind Blown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Last Thursday, Disney released the cast for their newest project- a live action remake of The Lion King. The internet completely lost it, rightfully so, as the image below made it around all social media platforms. This has to go down as one of Disney’s best casts of all time.

There has to be a “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” duet between Donald Glover and Beyoncé, right? Safe to say that the roles of Simba and Nala are in good hands. If those two don’t give you enough of a reason to lose your mind over this remake, the rest of the cast will. Comedians John Oliver, Seth Rogen and Keegan-Michael Key will for sure have you laughing out of your seats. Plus, James Earl Jones, aka the voice of Darth Vader, will be playing Mufasa, which only makes sense as he was the voice of Mufasa in the OG Lion King from 1994. Basically, no one could have hand pick a more brilliant cast.

Disney classic remakes have been very successful the past few years- with movies such as Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, and The Jungle Book, taking over the box offices.

Unfortunately, we have to wait until July of 2019 for The Lion King to be released, although it will definitely be worth the wait. In the meantime, Disney will continue to roll out with more of these live-action remakes to steal our hearts. In 2018, Emma Stone will star in Cruella, and a live-action Peter Pan will be hitting theaters.

A new version of The Little Mermaid will also be released next year, however it is not being produced by Disney and strays from the original story line. But have no fear, Disney is also in the works of creating a live-action for the under-the-sea classic, although the timeline on this is still TBD.  

The same year The Lion King will be released, so will a live-action Aladdin, where Will Smith will play the Genie, plus live-action remakes of Dumbo and Mulan as well. It looks like 2019 is going to be a pretty great year for all Disney-lovers.

Madeline Marshall

Miami (OH) '20

Junior political science and strategic communications double major at Miami University (not Florida)
Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs