A-Line Skirts For The Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Toss those jeans and yoga pants aside ― the A-line skirt is the all-star dress-up piece this winter. The signature A-line skirt made famous by Dior and Yves Saint Laurent in the 1950s are in-style and being sold everywhere. After disappearing in the 80s, the style made has made separate come backs in the 90s and 2000s, and is once again making a statement in the fashion world today. Although the fashionable patterns and lengths vary each time it returns to the runway, the bell-shaped style stays the same.  Resting on the hips, it flares out at the hem. You may recognize the famous style worn by Audrey Hepburn in “Roman Holiday”.

The A-line skirt flatters all body types and is perfect for dressing up your look. Pair one with tights to prevent yourself from freezing in the winter weather. This shape creates an elegant hour-glass figure, giving curves to petite women, such as Nordstrom’s Flared Ponte Skirt. The flaring skirt also gives a nice balance to busy girls wanting to draw some attention away from their bust.

Take a look at these celebrities flaunting their style of the A-line:

Carrie Underwood’s sparkling sliver mini skirt is the highlight to this perfect holiday party look.

The longer style looks stunning on Julianne Hough’s tall and slim body―and the red color to match those heels pulls the whole look together.

For a simpler skirt, or one to go with a statement-top, draw inspiration from Suki Waterhouse’s night out look.

So pick your favorite style, ditch those leggings and throw on a cute A-line skirt to make your winter style the best on campus.

Tess is an Assistant Editor and Contributing Writer for Her Campus Miami (OH)
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.