The Legacy of Oscar de la Renta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Watching award shows with envious eyes as our esteemed idols walk across the red carpet in spectacular gowns, we dream of being in their shoes (literally)! This far-off fantasy has come true for so many through the work of one unparalleled visionary, Oscar de la Renta.

Reigning over the fashion industry for decades, Oscar de la Renta dressed some of the most distinguished women in the world and mastered the art of making women “embrace their most beautiful, confident selves,” in the words of Sarah Jessica Parker.  Oscar de la Renta’s death on October 20 came as a devastating loss and surprise to those inspired by his vision around the world. Figures ranging from Diane Von Furstenberg to Michelle Obama to Taylor Swift were just a few of many to respond on the fashion industry’s loss. Born in the Dominican Republic, de la Renta quickly found his interest in art and after studying in Spain, he traveled to Paris, the fashion capital of the world. While in France, de la Renta worked under some of the most influential designers of the time. Trained by Cristóbal Balenciaga and Antonio del Castillo, he first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he dressed Jackie Kennedy.

De la Renta’s early career began with the aid of Diana Vreeland, the then Editor-in-Chief of Vogue who advised the young designer to work for Arden to avoid being cast as a shadow behind Dior. De la Renta worked for Arden for two years before working for Jane Derby. When Derby passed away in 1965, de la Renta was able to take over the label and his career took off.

Throughout his 50 years of work, de la Renta shaped the fashion industry into what it is today. From dressing royalty to A-list celebrities, it became almost impossible to watch a red carpet event without seeing the work of Oscar de la Renta. His work landed him many awards, including a coveted spot in the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame in 1973. In 2006, de la Renta was diagnosed with cancer. One year later, at the Council of Fashion Designers of America, de la Renta spoke of his cancer, urging people to remember that death is a part of life and that it is crucial to make the most of every day we have in this world. De la Renta passed away at the age of 82 on October 20 at his home in Connecticut due to complications with his cancer, according to The New York Times.

There is no doubt that Oscar de la Renta is one of the most influential fashion designers of our time. While de la Renta may no longer be physically with us, his inspiration and influence on the fashion world will not be soon forgotten. His genius will be truly missed. And remember ladies, always “walk like you have three men walking behind you.”

Ellen is a writer for Her Campus Miami University Chapter
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.