Jon Leist: PSE President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to be a full-time student while overseeing all of Pi Sigma Epsilon’s 162 members. That’s why this week’s HC celebrity on campus is PSE President Jon Leist.Year: SeniorMajor/Minor: Finance / Entrepreneurship & International BusinessHobbies: Making wine & personal fitnessCampus Involvement: PSE, Student Venture Fund, Delta Tau Delta

Fun facts…What’s you favorite Uptown hotspot: Side for drinks – Mac & Joe’s for foodFavorite year of college so far: Sophomore yearFavorite city/state/country you’ve ever been to: Tie between Siena, Italy and Maui, Hawaii. I loved Maui because it was so laid back and I got to go scuba diving.

Time for a little Q&A …

Her Campus: When were you elected president of PSE and was this something you knew you wanted to do since joining the organization?Jon Leist: When I joined the organization the fall of my freshman year I really looked up to the seniors and the leadership team, especially the then president (2011) Maggie Byrne.  I always wanted to emulate their characteristics and work toward becoming a leader in the organization one day.

HC: As president of PSE, how have you seen the organization grow over the last four years?JL: The organization has dynamically changed in that we have incorporated much more startup companies into our portfolio of projects because our members have shown a lot of interest in entrepreneurship.   

HC: What is your favorite part about being in PSE?JL: Every year we compete at PSE’s National Convention and it is by far one of the best experiences I have each year.  Last spring the convention was held in Miami, FL – we had a lot of fun balancing our work while also enjoying the perks of Florida in March.  Networking and establishing friendships with PSE members, corporate executives, and keynote speakers from across the country is hands down the most invaluable opportunity PSE offers each year.

Also, I love the projects PSE works on – look for a huge RedBull event and large cross functional multi-business organization philanthropic event in the coming month!

Finally, it’s really cool to see our work get recognized. (Like in the NY Times!)

HC: Favorite PSE memory?JL: My favorite PSE memory is winning/celebrating our Top Chapter award in South Beach – it couldn’t have been a better note to return back to school on.

HC: How has the chapter performed in competitions over the last few years?JL: Each year at the Pi Sigma Epsilon National Convention, all PSE chapters have the opportunity to compete in the National Awards Program. The National Awards Program of the Pi Sigma Epsilon National Educational Foundation was created to recognize individual and chapter accomplishments and celebrate our hard work throughout the year.

Individuals and whole chapters enter competitions through a written application as well as a presentation at the convention. Only chapters that earn a certain number of Chapter Operations Guide (COG) points, which are earned through projects, community service and chapter bonding, can compete for the Lewis F. Gordon Top Gold Chapter: one of the highest possible honors for a PSE chapter. Our PSE Miami chapter has placed in the top three Top Gold Chapters 19 times since 1977 and will compete again in April 2015 at next year’s National Convention in Houston, Texas!

20141st PlaceLewis F. Gordon Top Gold ChapterTop Advisor of the Year – Dr. Donald NorrisTop Sales ProjectTop Marketing Research ProjectTop Marketing ProjectTop Public Relations StrategyRecruitment Fair ChallengeAward for Sustained Excellence

2nd PlaceTop Service Project

2013Ranked one of the Top 3 Gold Chapters in the Nation1st PlaceTop Management TeamTop Marketing Research ProjectTop Public RelationsTop Sales ProjectTop Service ProjectTop Project Manager – Allie EngelhartPSE Headquarters Video Challenge

2nd PlaceTop Marketing ProjectRecruitment Fair Challenge

HC: How have you personally grown through being a member of PSE and now the president?JL: I’ve been fortunate enough to get to grow with the organization since my first semester here at Miami. The organization has so many talented people that are smarter than me who have helped guide me to the person I am today. I came into Farmer only knowing that I wanted to go into business. Over the last four years PSE members and PSE alumni have helped me define who I am as a business professional and the direction I want to take my future career.

HC: What are your post-grad plans?JL: I really want to make an impact on bringing green energy to the forefront of the energy sources we use. Nobody really cares about the issue enough and I want to share my passion with the world by bringing the issue to people’s attention. I took a job with Deloitte Consulting and will start my career out of their Chicago office – I hopefully will focus on energy sector projects. After two years of working I plan on going back to school to earn an MBA.

Emily Hanhart is a senior at Miami University. She is the Assistant Editor for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.