Joining a Sorority: Why It Was My Best Decision

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

In high school, I knew for sure that I would not be rushing once I got to college. I knew that I just wasn’t the sorority “type” and it was definitely not for me. Then I came to a school where 35% of the population is affiliated with Greek life. My first semester freshman year I was still pretty set on not rushing. Then a friend convinced me to go to Sprite Dates and I saw something I had been missing my whole life: groups of girls who were genuinely best friends. I saw how much fun they had together and how great it was to be part of something so much bigger than yourself, and the idea started to grow on me. By the end of that semester I was sold and decided to go against high-school me’s better judgment and rush.

Fast forward and now I’m in my sophomore year and I’m so happy with my decision. I’ve found my best friends in my sisters and I can’t imagine life without them. I now have people who I know without a doubt will always be there for me whenever I need them. I’m surrounded by women who are so inspiring they make me want to be the best version of myself. I’ve found girls who have almost identical interests, and I’ve found girls who think differently and often challenge my beliefs which only causes me to grow. I’ve found an organization that feels like home with people who feel like family. My sorority has made campus smaller and so much more welcoming. It’s hard to believe I was so against something that has made my life so much better in so many ways.

Greek life isn’t for everyone, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But if you’re like me and have a lot of preconceived ideas about what being in a sorority is all about, I hope you’ll look a little deeper and realize the possibilities that joining a sorority can provide you with. While some of the stereotypes can be true, my experience has been nothing but enriching and I hope it can be for lots of other girls, too.

Just another college girl with a love for writing, coffee, and adventures. 
Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs