This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

We are currently 4 weeks into the second semester and I have already been extremely busy. I went through recruitment for a sorority my first two weeks here which basically took up my entire weekend. Once I joined one, the events were non stop. I was finding myself struggling to get everything done that needed to be done. I had to take a serious look at my schedule and plan my days down to the minute to get everything done.

One of the biggest things I find helpful when I’m dealing with a busy schedule is to take any downtime I have between classes to get homework done. I will use the breaks I have between classes and the time before class starts to make sure I get all of my homework done. When you have to balance various clubs, sorority events, and a full schedule, things can get overwhelming and using any extra time effectively, instead of freaking out about how much stuff there is to do, will ensure you get everything that needs to be done, done.

I learned to prioritize. I utilize my planner for daily homework assignments and upcoming exams/projects. I use my desk calendar for monthly social events and club meetings. Finally, I use the stickies feature on my laptop to write down important deadlines and weekly tasks such as writing my articles and running the social media for another club I’m apart of on campus. I will not remember to do something unless I write it down and nothing is more satisfying than checking off a completed assignment as done. I first go to my planner to figure out what homework needs to be done because academics come first. Once I figure out what homework I’ve done and needs to be done I move to my desk calendar to see what social events are going on and figuring out what I can and can’t make it to. There is no shame in skipping out on a social event to catch up on homework. Finally, I look at the stickies feature. I use the stickies feature more as a reminder to get things done than a necessity that needs to be completed immediately.

The most important aspect of managing a busy schedule is to recognize your limits and really consider everything you can accomplish in a week. If you’re feeling extremely overwhelmed each week and feel like you can never quite catch up, it might be time to consider letting something go. Make sure you aren’t overexerting yourself and that you’re finding a nice balance between everything. Organization is key to managing a busy schedule and holding yourself accountable is going to make a world of difference when managing to get everything done on time. Good luck with your busy schedules everyone and remember to take some deep breaths and schedule a little time for yourself.

Zoe Kelley

Miami (OH) '22

Marketing and Professional Writing student at Miami University in the Farmer School of Business. From West Chester, OH. I love dogs and my family fosters pit bulls. I love to read, write and play piano. My favorite book is Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger, My favorite movie is Chicago and my favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother. I love to go to the beach and I hope to someday live in New York City. I was a dancer for 16 years in all styles.
Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer