Healthier Options at Bagel and Deli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Whether it’s a Sunday morning or 3 am after a night out on the town, students all over Miami’s campus flock to Bagel and Deli. This historic eatery was founded in 1975, and is frequented daily by students, alums, Oxford residents, and even famous people who are visiting campus. For almost 40 years, B&D has proven to be the favorite tradition for late night munching. Our question is, how can you stay in shape with so many mouth watering creations to choose from like the Crunch and Munch, the Cookie Monster, or my roommate’s favorite: Salami and extra cream cheese on an everything bagel?

This question is always on the minds of the health-conscious students at Miami. How can we still enjoy our favorite bagels and not ruin our diets? With such a massive menu covering B&D’s walls, it’s hard to read all the options and select something healthier. Next time you’re in the mood for a bagel, try some of these healthier options from varying categories for your next late-night bagel:

Roast Beef

• Alumni Bagel – Roast beef & cream cheese on onion

Ham

• Ham and Swisser – Ham & Swiss on plain

Bacon

• BLT – Bacon, lettuce, tomato & American cheese on plain

Turkey

• Blonde Bombshell – Turkey, Swiss, veggie cream cheese, lettuce & a dash o’ pepper on sun dried tomato

Eggs

• Sam’s Sunrise – Scrambled egg and American cheese on an egg bagel

Veggie

• Aunt Beanie’s – Hummus, sprouts, tomato & avocado on pumpernickel. PETA seal of approval.

Not satisfied with these choices? Still want to enjoy your favorite bagel with less guilt?

Tweak it! My absolute guilty pleasure from Bagel and Deli is the Crunch and Munch. Whenever I am craving one, I make it a little healthier by asking for no parmesan peppercorn and requesting the Doritos on the side, that way I can add on as many as I want to and still get that crunch.

Lizzie Miller is a Junior at Miami University. She is a Contributing Writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus."