HC Miami Weighs In: “Why I’m Voting for Obama”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

With arguably the most important election in our history imminent, Her Campus wanted to see where everyone’s views stood after the presidential debates. Who will you choose?

“I’m voting for Obama because I believe that everyone should have equality. No matter what religion you are, gender, or who you fall in love with. Also, I am a strong supporter of women’s rights and believe a woman should have full control of her body.”
– Kiaya White, Junior

“I am voting for President Barack Obama because I am an environmental voter; I strongly believe environmental issues are real and ignoring them poses huge consequences for the world as we know it. President Obama’s policies work towards cleaner, more efficient energy choices, while Mitt Romney’s energy plan barely addresses environmental issues as a problem. I am an equal rights voter- President Obama supports gay marriage, while Romney will advocate a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage “as between one man and one woman.” This treatment to equal rights troubles and saddens me, and I support Presidential Barack Obama for a second term as President of the United States.”
– Anonymous, Senior

“As a college student and young woman, I feel like I would be doing myself an injustice if I did not vote for Barack Obama this November. His compassion for women’s rights and awareness for the concerns of America’s university students are attributes I consider to be essential in the man I stand behind come election time. We need a President who will dedicate time to obtaining social justice and economic fairness for women in this country, and I believe Obama is just the man for that. He’s supporting me, so I will support him. President Obama also wants to establish equality under the law for all, supporting gay rights and the expansion of protections for hate crimes against sexual orientation and gender identity. He publicly announced earlier this year his support of gay marriage and even though this announcement had little substantive impact, it was very symbolically significant. Personally, I was impressed by his courageous honesty and I think that America needs someone who has such aspirations for the direction of this country.

He’s “the people’s President,” capable of relating and looking out for the common man. He’s made an unbelievable effort to fix the problems that were waiting for him upon taking office in 2008. If re-elected, I know he will continue to make gutsy moves and necessary decisions for a country that so desperately needs them.”
– Hannah Harp

“If I could vote (I am not an American Citizen), I would vote for Obama to become president. Socially, Obama supports same-sex marriage and abortion rights. I think that no matter whom someone loves they, should have the same legal rights as everyone else and have the right to marry. In addition, I believe women should be able to make their own decisions regarding their bodies. Obama supports Planned Parenthood, which is a crucial health care provider that gives support to women for birth control, pap smears, and other important screenings that affect their health. Also, I agree with his decision to end the Iraq war and plan to ensure all of the troops are out by the end of 2014. I agree with his policy to no longer use harsh interrogation techniques. Environmentally, Obama has policies to reduce carbon emissions. He has supported environmentally friendly companies as well. I also support Obama’s health care plan that provides everyone with health care no matter his or her financial status.”
– Chloe Nettleton

“I am voting for Barack Obama for president because I think he can relate better to the American people than Governor Romney. President Obama cares for women’s rights and believes in gay rights, as well, as seen when he repealed “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.” One of my closest friends is gay, and he deserves the same rights that heterosexual people have. While the economy has not turned around as quickly as most people would have liked over the past four years, I realize that the president is just one man and cannot turn things around instantaneously. I believe Obama has the country’ best interests at heart and should be re-elected for a second term.”
– Melissa Maykut

(PhotoSource)

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.