This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Over the weekend, my family and I were lucky enough to get tickets to see Hamilton in Cincinnati. My family and I are big musical theatre fans and we were all eagerly awaiting this show. I had listened to the soundtrack so I already knew the music was amazing. The big question I had going into the show was would it live up to the hype it’s received. So many people have praised the show and I had to judge it for myself.

After finally seeing the show I can say that it lives up to the hype it’s received. Everything about it was fantastic. The music, of course, is phenomenal but I knew that going in because I had already listened to the album. What is so interesting about Hamilton is that it’s primarily through song, there isn’t much talking between songs. Each song leads into one another flawlessly, the transition is seamless. If you listen to the soundtrack straight through and not on shuffle you can hear how one song leads to the next one. There are themes that repeat through certain songs which I love because it brings back the beginning rhythms but applies them to different parts of the story to signify time changing and historic moments.

The actors were all amazing; their vocals were impressive and their portrayal of each character was spot on. Since the musical is based on the biography of Alexander Hamilton, and most people that see it have taken a US History course, we know the characters and know what their significance is in our history. Even though I have a decent amount of knowledge of US history, I still learned new things about some of our founding fathers that I didn’t learn in history. Even if you’re not a history buff, the musical is phenomenal regardless.

If you have the opportunity to see it I 100% encourage you to go. Lin-Manuel Miranda really outdid himself with Hamilton and it is worthy of the praise and merit it has received since its debut. I would see it again if I had the opportunity. Hamilton has made its way up on my list of my favorite musicals and I hope it returns to Cincinnati again.

Zoe Kelley

Miami (OH) '22

Marketing and Professional Writing student at Miami University in the Farmer School of Business. From West Chester, OH. I love dogs and my family fosters pit bulls. I love to read, write and play piano. My favorite book is Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger, My favorite movie is Chicago and my favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother. I love to go to the beach and I hope to someday live in New York City. I was a dancer for 16 years in all styles.
Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer