Girls’ Night Out: Marian Jordan Ellis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It’s no secret that as women, we have this inherent desire to hear those three little words: “You’re the one.” It is ingrained in us from an early age that Prince Charming will one day ride in on his noble steed, whisking us away to our happily ever after. While that all sounds good in theory, history has proven that this belief is not only outdated, it’s also very untrue.

Marian Jordan, author of the book, Sex and The City: Uncovered visited Miami’s campus last Wednesday hosting a Girls’ Night Out event to talk to young women about the importance of not losing our sense of self worth while we search high and low for this prince that fairytales have promised. And let me tell you, it was nothing short of ah-mazing!

Ellis explained how she was living the lavish lifestyle of the Sex and The City star, Carrie Bradshaw: the labels, the fabulous parties and of course, the disposable men. But what the popular HBO series failed to mention was that these “things” didn’t help them get any closer to finding that great love. The southern belle divulged the trials and tribulations of her quest to find that all-consuming love. What she found, in the midst of an epiphany on the side of the road, was bigger than she could’ve ever imagined: the unconditional and long lasting love of Jesus Christ – calling it the “greatest love story there is.”

Throughout the event Ellis used several anecdotes, keeping the night fun and light, while conveying such a powerful message. But I have to say, what I loved most about the GNO was, Jordan’s ability to tell such a moving story of personal growth while not forcing anything upon anyone and making it extremely relatable to girls our age. Comparing Liam Neeson’s fight for his daughter in the thriller, “Taken” to that of Jesus Christ fighting for his daughters was brilliant, and helped prove that though at times we feel as if our sins cannot be forgiven, Jesus loves us despite of what we have done, no matter the extent.  

The night as a whole projected a very positive and accepting vibe, one of which that is unfortunately very uncommon among an event with a bunch of young women. I believe that this had everything to do with the southern charm, raw honesty and emotion the writer gave the audience, and little to do with the giveaways, or the swoon worthy pictures of Zac Efron.

Ellis stressed that while looking for your prince charming, refrain from allowing yourself to be treated like trash, and with forming a relationship with Jesus Christ, you will find that you will be treated like the treasure you are.

Shelby Hyde

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde is a senior journalism and professional writing double major with hopes of working in the wide world of publishing upon graduating in May of 2016. This Miami University (OH) Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief is a fashion fanatic with a knack for words and bringing them to life. Shelby has had a wide variety of experiences throughout her four years at Miami, including working as Creative Services and Special Sections intern for Cincinnati Magazine, as well as a three-time returning style guru intern for well known fashion site, CollegeFashionista.com.The 22 year-old is Hoosier born and bred with a New Yorker status pending, and she's looking for something BIG! All inquiries can be forwarded to: shelbyyhyde@hercampus.com
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.