Getting To Know Elle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Name:

Elle Simmons

Major:

Psychology Major, Women’s Studies Minor

Class:

Senior

Hometown:

Worthington, OH

Other Extracurriculars:

Member of MU College Democrats

Favorite Professor:

Dr. Othello Harris and Vrinda Kalia

Role in To Write Love on Her Arms:

President

Her Campus: What is To Write Love on Her Arms and what does it do?

Elle Simmons: TWLOHA is an organization that strives to provide hope and help for those struggling with depression, anxiety, suicide, self-harm, eating disorders, addiction, loss, and mental illness. Our chapter at Miami tries to reach out to give people a safe place to talk about these issues and how they’ve affected their own lives, as well as to ask questions about how to get help and find the support they need.

HC: How did you get involved with To Write Love on Her Arms?

ES: In high school, I struggled with major depression, anxiety, and self-harm. My therapist recommended I look into TWLOHA as a resource to help in my recovery and it has been an important part of my life ever since. 

HC: Why is To Write Love on Her Arms important for college students?

ES: TWLOHA is important for college students because it is an outlet for people struggling with any multitude of personal issues. We try to create an environment of support and understanding that allows anyone to feel comfortable coming to a single meeting or being consistently involved with us no matter where they are in life. College is a really difficult time of transition for everyone, and it’s so important that students know they are not alone and there is hope and help.

HC: What kind of activities does To Write Love on Her Arms participate in, and what activities will take place this year?

ES: TWLOHA in the past has co-sponsored events such as Stress Less Week and Suicide Prevention Day. We have brought many speakers including PostSecret creator Frank Warren, slam poet Sierra Demulder, and TWLOHA founder Jamie Twortkowski. We hold bi-weekly meetings to discuss the issues of interest and provide support on an individual level. In the spring we are planning on bringing a speaker relevant to our focus that will be an event open to all and can reach out to anyone who needs it.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

ES: I like to watch hockey, spend time with my friends, and play with my dogs.

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

ES: Goofy, thoughtful, and analytical.

HC: What is your favorite memory at Miami?

ES: When we brought Jamie Tworkowski to speak, I got to take a picture with him and talk to him a bit about how important he has been in my recovery which was so emotional but so important. 

HC: What do you plan to do after Miami?

ES: I plan on attending grad school to get my Masters in education and then go on to teach at a high school level.

HC: What’s a fun fact about yourself?

ES: I’m obsessed with Blink-182.

HC: What’s the best pick-up line you’ve ever heard?

ES: “Your legs must be tired because you’ve been running through my mind all day.”

Caroline is fashionable, creative, and eccentric, though she likes to consider herself whimsical. She is interested in animals, history, fashion, and true crime and wants to be a writer when she grows up (physically; she will never grow up mentally). When not contributing to Her Campus, she can be found studying, working on a million projects at once, people-watching, playing with her beloved cats and dog, writing for fun, and eating red velvet cake.
Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus