Get To Know Your ASG Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It’s that time of the year again – elections!

We often hear how important it is to do research on potential candidates before voting so you can pick the right man or woman for the job. So, our Her Campus team took the time to get to know this year’s presidential and vice presidential candidates to help spread their messages.

Billy Fitz and Katie Nixdorf are running against Maggie Reilly and Stu Coulston in hopes of serving our university next school year.

How did each pair choose to run together?

Billy Fitz: “I took a look at what I’m good at and what I’m not strong at in order to fill that void. Katie is trustworthy, loyal, hard working and absolutely fantastic. I couldn’t be happier to have her on my team.”

Maggie Reilly: “When I met Stu last semester, within a few conversations, I could tell he is a great leader. I asked him to serve on the Student Trustee Committee, and that solidified my decision in knowing he would be a great running mate.”

VP Candidates, what were your reactions to the proposal?

Stu Coulston: “When Maggie asked me, I was completely ecstatic. I’m lucky that she approached me because she’s very qualified.”

Katie Nixdorf: “I always wanted to hold a leadership role, so when he [Billy] asked me to be his vice president, I knew he would hold his leadership role extremely well and still let me do as much leadership as I wanted to.”

What are the main goals you hope to accomplish if elected?

MR & SC: “First, we want to focus on rec center and dining/meal plan reform. We also want to break barriers between students, ASG and the administrators. We want the other student leaders to know that we are on your team no matter what organization they are part of. And lastly, this is your school so we want your platforms to be heard.”

BF & KN: “We think it’s important to do service work, especially because it resonates with companies. We want to work with the academic office to implement service hours as a graduation requirement, where it can count as a credit hour or satisfy DARS. We also want to improve safety on campus by increasing lighting and the use of the ‘Blue Light System. We also promote transparency through ASG, so we would like to see meetings be moved to a more relevant & bigger space where people outside of the Senate can sit in on the meetings.”

Do you have a catchy slogan?

BF: “Fitz & Nix – it’s memorable and catchy!”

SC: “The team you can count on!”

Lastly, what do you want to resonate the readers?

MR: “We are all on the same team here at Miami, no matter where you come from. We both prove we are dedicated leaders and passionate by following through on our promises and want to make a promise to the whole school.”

BF: “We are here to promote the entire student body, not ourselves.”

SC: “As stated earlier, we want everyone to be involved in our platform, so we would really appreciate everyone taking the time to visit our website to complete their involvement with the platform.”

KN: “Well, I have to admit it has been fun to have opponents who are doing great at what their doing. As far as why we hope we get your vote is because we want to get the faculty and the students involved – bridge the gap between the administration and the student body.”

Don’t forget to vote on The Hub this Wednesday, April 6th & 7th. Every vote counts!

https://www.facebook.com/fitzandnix/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/reillycoulston2016/

reillycoulston2016.com

Karolina is a junior contributing writer and President of HerCampus at Miami(OH).