Fun Facts About Miami Mergers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Love is in the air, and in Oxford, that means Miami Mergers! We have all heard the stories about finding love and kissing under the arch, but what about some real facts? Her Campus has compiled a list to acknowledge the romantic history of this tradition.

1. 14 percent of Miami alumni are married to another alum. For other colleges, the average percentage of alumni getting married is between 3 and 9 percent. Those odds aren’t bad!

2. Each year, Miami mails a Valentine to merger couples. This year’s valentine “captures the story of how Miamians meet, fall in love and seal it with a kiss underneath the Upham Arch through a series of haiku poems featured on four decorative Valentine’s Day coasters—perfect for cold drinks to celebrate the day of love!”

3. Miami University holds the world record for the most couples renewing their wedding vows. Guinness recognized this in 2009 during an Alumni Weekend. 1,087 couples participated, breaking the previous record of 624.

4. There is some really nice merchandise available for Mergers. Maybe one of these would be a great gift for your parents.

5. Mergers have an adorable Pinterest page! Enough said.

6. Wedding locations on campus (Kumler Chapel and Sesquicentennial Chapel) give booking privileges to Mergers. While couples are only allowed to book a year in advance, Mergers can do so 13 months in advance.  

*All fun facts are sourced from Miami University web pages.

Katlyn Byers

Miami (OH)

Kate Byers is in the minority as a married college student as of August 13, 2011 (!). As a Senior English Major with a Communication minor, she is frequently found curled up somewhere with a book or notepad. A co-founder of the Miami University branch, Kate spends most of her time behind the scenes as editor. She has also had an internship in Human Resources. Kate has a passion for all things food; an avid fan of The Next Food Network Star, much of Kate's free time is spent in the kitchen, baking something yummy for her friends or husband, Nick. Her favorite band is Coldplay, and one of her great guilty pleasures is musical theatre. Although her roots are in Cincinnati, she dreams of moving to New York City after graduation to look for Public Relations or Journalism opportunities. The 2011-2012 school year will be a big one for Kate both personally and in her new adventure with Her Campus!